Safari sluggish compared to Chrome

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Dammit Cubs, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Hey guys,
    I'm starting to figure out that Safari on my computer is super slow. I thought it was my internet and was complaining to the ends of the earth about my ISP when i noticed that Chrome does not have the same issues.

Certain websites, say Si.com or theverge.com....seem to have a terribly hard time loading up a single web page - taking almost a minute to load. The loading bar would stay at the half way point. One google search moves fast which makes me think something is blocking my access to these sites.

But when I move to Chrome, I no longer have this issue and everything is okay.

Is there anyway to clear everything safari and even install a new copy. This did not happy on Yosemite.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. jeanlain macrumors 65816

Safari loads theverge.com loads in an instant here. I suggest you disable all safari extensions, if you have any installed.

3. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I don't have any extensions. Thanks for the input though.

4. quickcalibre macrumors regular

quickcalibre

Chrome has always worked super fast for me, compared to safari. Unfortunately I think it's optimised better and is just the winner out of the two.

5. quickcalibre macrumors regular

quickcalibre

Try deleting your history and cookies in safari though.

6. jeanlain, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

jeanlain macrumors 65816

I think safari is faster for real-world benchmarks. So it should feel significantly slower than Chrome.

EDIT: "shouldn't"

7. QuickDraw macrumors regular

Wat?

8. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

Try to reset Safari, and empty cache. And see if there are any plug-ins that could be creating the sluggishness.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So it was fine in Yosemite then immediately went to pot with the El Capitan install? If that is the case, you may have a third party utility or something that is conflicting with El Capitan. Try holding the shift key at boot to start in safe mode. That will stop all launch and startup items form running. If Safari works fine is safe mode, but not otherwise, that tells us one of those startup or launch items is causing the problem.

10. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I just noticed that under developer mode, if I disable the cache, it seems to run a bit faster. Yeah, something is up - it seems to just hang majority of the time, and I wonder if the websites i go to frequency are cached or maybe its some proxy issue with my router.

The App Store also has this issue, it loads very slow....

11. Rodan52 macrumors regular

Rodan52

There is no need to "Nuke an Pave" here just try the "Clear History" command under the Safari pull down menu. If you select All History under this command it will remove all ccokies as well as web sites which you can then import from Chrome.

12. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I can try that. But I thought I already did that...