Safari... So buggy!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by acfusion29, Dec 16, 2007.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Wow.

Sometimes it doesn't wanna load web pages, sometimes it loads them half way, so I gotta click the address bar and hit enter, and they will load.

This happens a lot.. sometimes the web pages don't want to load at all. I quit Safari and re-open it, and the page still doesn't load! I have to restart my Macbook, or close the lid and reopen it. It's annoying especially with gmail notifier. gmail.com stops working sometimes.

When playing a flash game, Safari will freeze

They better fix this.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Please can you give some example pages? I have no problems with Safari. Maybe it's your setup or ISP. Have you tried Firefox?

3. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Works fine in Firefox. But I hate Firefox, idunno just personal preference.

Umm... alright.

Say I type macrumors.com, that blue loading thing in the address bar will go about half way... and then stop. I have to click there and hit enter again, and the page will load.

The MOST annoying thing is when I can't even check my email. For GMAIL notifier, I have it at the top, and well it checks if the page on Safari works and most of the time it doesn't.

This also happens when I go to like facebook, or youtube sometimes. It just says the page cannot be displayed and I gotta close the lid/reopen it, or restart the Macbook if that doesn't work.

Then, yesterday I was playing Miniclip (9-ball) with my friend, and talking to him on MSN at the same time, and when I went to go type something to him, Safari would freeze.

4. bluesjam macrumors member

The problem you are describing happens to me sometimes too so I downloaded Camino, it runs faster than safari and I haven't experienced any problems with it so far.

5. otis123 macrumors 6502a

i really don't know why everyone hates safari, its my browser of choice, and I've never had any problems (except with the windows live id site) firefox is to ancient looking for me to use, maybe when 3 comes out of beta ill give it a spin

6. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

As some of my friends would say "Word!." I use Safari as my main browser and it has not given me the first problem. Most of the websites I use work fine with it and it's fast. The issues that the OP might be having I've blamed either on the network I'm using or the ISP... I've had those issues but I it's not only on Safari or Firefox or Camino, it goes all the way back to the day when I used Windoze :eek: and the good old Netscape (cause back then I didn't like IE; that still stands today ;))

7. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I don't think its my ISP...

I have a desktop right beside my Macbook, and whenever I see a webpage isn't loading, I'll go on my desktop and the webpage works FINE!

Or, I open up Firefox, and it works, but not on Safari.

They need to fix this thing. I prefer Safari over all OS.

8. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

This is what happens, and it's annoying.

Just happened a few minutes ago :(

Attached Files:

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have this issue in Safari on Leopard also. Quite annoying. I am using opendns.com's dns servers, but i've observed the same behavior with those dns servers as with the ones directly from my ISP -- it's not a dns issue, it's Safari being dumb. I'm going to switch over to Camino for about a week and see if it still happens (in my limited experience with Camino on Leopard this hasn't happened).

11. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Please tell us all the settings you have in network preferences, how you're connecting to the internet etc. etc.

Instead of declaring Safari's buggy, help us to help you fix the problem!

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's quite a common issue, and Tiger had its own issue with Safari doing the same thing. Apple fixed it in due time, but it seems to be back in Leopard.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The problem as far as I see is that the OP's DNS is slow to respond, and Safari is impatient. OP, are you using any plug-ins that might be interfering with this? I have almost no problems with Safari and it's been my defacto browser since Apple introduced it.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

15. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I too seem to have the same problem. Websites load fine in camino and firefox, but once in a while safari decides not to load about 30% of webpages I ask it to. For example I could be googling something, then click on my macrumors bookmark, and it say it cannot find server. It loads other pages (I try amazon, ebay and google normally to make sure its not my net connection). And macrumors loads fine in other browsers without changing my network settings. And once it happens once, you cant make it load unless you restart the whole computer, not just safari. Im connected via WiFi, to a Belkin router. Other computers (windows) connected to this router have no problems. My ISP is Tiscali (UK) which is a large company, so I wouldnt expect to have issues such as this.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm... that sounds like Safari is being impatient, but the problem isn't necessarily with DNS, but with a slow-responding webserver.

Are all of you that have this issue running Leopard?

I'm sitting here right now using Safari (2.x) on a AlPB (10..4.6) on dial-up and not having any problems. Other than dial-up being suckilyslow.

17. kalun macrumors regular

Mac OS X needs a usable browser

In my opinion, there isn't a single usable browser in mac os X.

Safari Problems:
    - Flash type player make the browser freeze sometimes.
    - Some of the websites are not loaded correctly.
    - Loading PDF file takes too long.
    - occasionally crash (I don't know why, it just does when I have too many tabs)

Firefox Problems:
    - Slow as hell on a mac
    - memory hog
    - ugly interface
    - occasionally crash (I don't know why, it just does when I have too many tabs)

All the other browsers are just not up to par in terms of speed / features.

If anyone know a good browser that is speedy, decent in launch speed, and a browser that DON'T crash on me, please let me know.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try opera

19. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I cant remember it before leopard. I find it most odd (in my case at least) that you need to restart the whole computer, rather than just re-launching safari. That makes it seem like the problem is at OS level. But then other browsers work fine, which would prove the opposite.

20. kalun macrumors regular

I tried Opera before. A big downside about Opera is their commitment toward web standard. If there is a missing ">", the item won't be loaded. If there is any syntax error, the item won't be displayed.

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

huh... :) I don't know when you tried it, if not recently, it might worth another shot. 9.5 (in beta now) is quite good.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

So, in other words, Opera's big downside is their lack of commitment to supporting documents that don't follow web standards?

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hrm.. I abandoned Leopard for the stability of Tiger. Once the issues are worked out, I'll switch again, so I don't see any of these Safari issues. Though it makes me wonder, the webkit that Apple uses to make Safari do it's thing is probably not being used by other browsers.. maybe the issue starts there?

24. kalun macrumors regular

Oh, I haven't really tried 9.5 yet, but maybe I will give it another shot.

yes. As a user, I don't care about web standard or what's right. All I care about is, if it works for IE, firefox, and safari, it should work in Opera.

25. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Wirelessly.

What settings would you like to know?

Maybe you could tell me your settings?

No plugins.

Running Leopard.