Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Ever since yesterday, every time I open a bookmark in Safari, or enter a URL and hit enter, the page will just remain blank...only after I hit reload, or re-click the bookmark the page will load. This isn't always the case but happens a lot. This also occurs on my dads MacBook Pro so maybe it is an issue with my Airport Extreme?

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is what you should do:

1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panels:
-Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
-Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When its finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs are done. THEN REBOOT.

Cudadown

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Can you elaborate on the reason he should do all that? I have always had that problem with safari. Sometimes I need to click a link 6 or 7 times to get it unstuck. I would love to know why that happens.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Can you elaborate on the reason he should do all that? I have always had that problem with safari. Sometimes I need to click a link 6 or 7 times to get it unstuck. I would love to know why that happens.

If you complete the above steps, it will 'unclog' your Safari and make it run more smoothly. It will delete caches/history type stuff which overtime, 'clogs' Safari. It has happened to me 3 times within 10 months. Mainly because I use the internet very often and surf very quickly. Usually whenever I post this method as a solution it works 75% of the time. So its no guarantee, but give it a shot.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
This is what you should do:

1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panels:
-Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
-Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When its finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs are done. THEN REBOOT.

I will definitely give this try although I have discovered something that may help find a solution... The EXACT same thing happens on my iPhone when connected to the same network... I'm starting to think its more of an Airport Extreme problem then a safari problem. Any ideas?

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I will definitely give this try although I have discovered something that may help find a solution... The EXACT same thing happens on my iPhone when connected to the same network... I'm starting to think its more of an Airport Extreme problem then a safari problem. Any ideas?

Sounds like your DNS lookup is running slow. I would suggest the following steps:
  1. Open the Network syspref
  2. Select your connection
  3. Click the "Advanced..." button
  4. Click the "DNS" tab
  5. Press the "+" button under the section labeled "DNS Servers:"
  6. Enter the IP "4.2.2.1"
  7. Click "OK"
  8. Click "Apply"
Now relaunch any active browsers and see if they work better. What this does is replace your primary DNS address with one that I've found to be a bit more reliable. You could also use 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS) or 4.2.2.x, where 'x' is 2-6. If the network seems to hang less, then the problem lies with either your ISP's DNS settings or the Airport is just really slow to resolve addresses. If this does not solve the problem, and you are using wireless, try switching to a hardwired connection and see if that helps at all; there may be something interfering with the network (I have a microwave that knocks off any laptop in a 3m radius when it's on).

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Sounds like your DNS lookup is running slow. I would suggest the following steps:
  1. Open the Network syspref
  2. Select your connection
  3. Click the "Advanced..." button
  4. Click the "DNS" tab
  5. Press the "+" button under the section labeled "DNS Servers:"
  6. Enter the IP "4.2.2.1"
  7. Click "OK"
  8. Click "Apply"
Now relaunch any active browsers and see if they work better. What this does is replace your primary DNS address with one that I've found to be a bit more reliable. You could also use 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS) or 4.2.2.x, where 'x' is 2-6. If the network seems to hang less, then the problem lies with either your ISP's DNS settings or the Airport is just really slow to resolve addresses. If this does not solve the problem, and you are using wireless, try switching to a hardwired connection and see if that helps at all; there may be something interfering with the network (I have a microwave that knocks off any laptop in a 3m radius when it's on).

Alright I tried these steps, including using a hardwire instead of wireless, and I am still getting the same problem. Occasionally pages will not load on the first click, but will after a re-click or reload. The problem still occurs on both my MacBook, my dads MacBook Pro and my iPhone. Should I do anything to my Airport Extreme to help resolve the problem?

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Alright I tried these steps, including using a hardwire instead of wireless, and I am still getting the same problem. Occasionally pages will not load on the first click, but will after a re-click or reload. The problem still occurs on both my MacBook, my dads MacBook Pro and my iPhone. Should I do anything to my Airport Extreme to help resolve the problem?

Interesting... Before messing with the router I'd suggest taking it out of the picture. Try connecting a laptop directly to the DSL/Cable modem (you'll probably need to power cycle the modem) and see if that fixes the problem. If that fixes the issue, then the problem most likely lies with your ISP so you may want to give them a call. If the issue goes away then I would suggest checking to see if there are any firmware updates for the base station and, if there aren't or that doesn't fix the problem either, try resetting it to the factory settings.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Has anyone experiencing this come up with a fix? None of the things suggested thus far have worked. This is seriously the ONLY reason I'm still using Firefox. I LOVE everything else about Safari 4.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
okay, so this is still happening with the final version. is there seriously NO word of a fix for this still? this is kind of a dealbreaker, and it's a shame because otherwise it's a great browser.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
okay, so this is still happening with the final version. is there seriously NO word of a fix for this still? this is kind of a dealbreaker, and it's a shame because otherwise it's a great browser.

Have you tried making a new user account and then opening Safari from there?

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
its not a bug with OSX.

Its caused by a bug in PHP, and cached pages.

basically, if you are using php with zlib_output_compression, php sends a 304 header gzip'd aswell.

Basically, a 304 page should be empty ( 0 bytes), but the bug is cuasing the gzip header to be send aswell.

Safari dies as the server is sending incorrect data, and safari is following the rules very strictly (maybe too much).

Its fixed in PHP 5.3, but most webservers are still on 5.2.x as 5.3 is still in RC stages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.