Safari sort of crashing my new mbp.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patent10021, May 9, 2017.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

So this started happening yesterday. Maybe today. Chrome and FF are ok but as soon as I open up Safari fans start going and typing and every action is super delayed. I scanned for malware and all was ok.

I only have a few youtube tabs open. I was using a Japanese banking site and am not sure if it started after that. I used that site on Safari as well. Not sure if it was Java based or what.

I haven't deleted/reset Safari/cookies yet because I have a lot of sites I want to save the login data etc.

Thought I'd ask here first. It's not even the same computer as soon as I open Safari. All hell breaks loose. Any ideas?

2. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Have you run MalwareBytes yet? And any recent changes to Safari (new extensions, etc.)? Does this happen with every site you open? Have you restarted the computer(s)?

3. patent10021, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017

patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

I shutdown so it could do a proper POST. No new extensions. I ran that app and it did find one called Adware.Vidx/MacVX in Library/Application Support/osxDownloader but it was just minor Adware. Removing it didn't help.

As I type right now things are super delayed. Hover over the Dock and the animation crawls. It's affecting the entire macbook in every way. Well, except for the display. Soon as I quit Safari everything goes back to normal.

EDIT: I checked Activity monitor and a few YouTube sites and even Google and a couple of suspect language sites were really high like 300mb. Anyway I just decided to terminate each process for those sites and then I actually closed all sites and just opened a new window and now all seems fine. I would like to say it was YouTube Flash's fault but it's all HTML5 now so can't use that one :)

Thanks for replying though.

4. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama