Safari Spellcheck

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tombarnes, Jun 14, 2007.

1. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Does anyone know how to change the localisation of the safari spellcheck to UK English? At the moment it is telling me that words like 'localisation' are spelt wrong. But us british people like to use and 's' instead of a 'z'!

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Right-click in the text field, go to Spelling. In the spelling window, there should be a menu on the bottom left with localisations.

3. DinnyHoon macrumors member

Thanks for that, I got tired of Safari telling me that things like colour and minimise were wrong :D

4. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Heh, I got tired of that so long ago...was driving me crazy! These damn Americans really need to learn how to spell properly ;)

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

Or maybe some company in the Commonwealth will step up and make an operating system so you don't have to rely on us American heathens. ;)

:rolleyes:

Of course I'll be one of the first to switch to the Queen's English if we here in the States are forced to adopt King George's English. :eek:

6. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Haha, that would be a dream come true! Programming languages are another thing and even less flexible than spell-checkers. I always get bugs for spelling "color" and "behavior" the proper British way, just as a force of habit.

Y'know, I wish that the spell-checker in OS X were linked to the current keyboard layout. I hate switching to other languages and then having to go back and switch the spell-checker too. The computer should be smart enough to spell-check in German when I'm typing on a German keyboard layout :rolleyes:

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Cmd-shift-colon also brings up the OSX spell check window. The good news is, once the spell checker is properly localized, it should be localized for every application that uses it.