Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bawstun

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Last night while browsing with my device running iOS 10.1, my Safari got a pop-up, which automatically led to the phone trying to open the stock email app. I have no account linked in there, it's the default screen asking you to choose an email provider.

But this is all Safari does now. Whenever I open the app, it pops me right back into email. It's so severe that even double-pressing the home button to bring up the app switcher, does nothing. The phone will pull right back into the email app without me selecting it. I've force closed Safari, but that just brings you to a blank Safari app and everything is unresponsive. Cannot tap into the search bar, cannot open a new tab. Completely unresponsive.

I've tried restarting the phone up in airplane mode, Safari still goes back to email.

I've never encountered this before but it seems as if adware and spyware have finally figured out how to crash an Apple device. Is my only option restoring? Seeing as I have no backup anywhere, that would be awful.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go into Settings > Safari and clear history and data from there to see if that helps.

Bawstun

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Go into Settings > Safari and clear history and data from there to see if that helps.

Well, I feel like kind of an idiot. This did it, thank you! I've never known that feature existed as I don't usually erase website data or anything. I've been sitting here for over a half an hour trying to get my device back up and running and this 2 second tip was all I needed. Thank you!

Reactions: addamas and C DM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.