Safari started lagging really bad

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Tigro, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Tigro macrumors newbie

I have a 2013 Macbook Air with Mountain Lion and while it had been running flawlessly since the day I bought it, a few days ago it started lagging really, REALLY bad. I've been able to narrow down the problem and now I'm 99% positive Safari is the culprit here. Whenever I open a new tab (even with some light, text-mostly content) the "Web Content (Safari)" process starts to devour the memory like crazy, sometimes going above 100% and almost never going below 60%. Sometimes it goes down after a while but sometimes I have to close the tab completely to make it come back to normal. The pages with videos are even worse in that aspect, the whole system starts lagging as if I had a 8-year old machine on Vista. It's not unlikely for Safari to go 100% if I reload two tabs for example, too.

I searched through the Apple forums and found that for some, links misplaced in the reading list were the culprit but I don't see anything out of the ordinary videos and articles there. What else may I try?

2. smokesletsgo macrumors regular

I had similar issues with my Air on Mavericks/Safari 7 . I downgraded to ML and sticking to Safari 6.0.5, no problems ever since. Safari 7 (or 6.1.1 on ML) is very buggy, i used OS X since Lion and never had so much issues. I think that is the answer, downgrade or just wait it out till they update this careless release. Worst version of safari of all time, as well as Mavericks. Very disappointed.