Safari started sucking in the last 2 days

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by kappaknight, Dec 9, 2014.

1. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I'm currently running 10.10.2, the 2nd update, and within the last couple of days, Safari has really started to suck. It's slow, HTML5 video won't play correctly, and sometimes the window is just stuck on white and beachballs while it loads forever. (Could be the wifi issue worsening)

I've been reporting it to Apple, but has anyone else noticed a similar pattern?

2. culb0743 macrumors member

I'm not running 10.10.2, but the behavior you describes sounds exactly what I've been experiencing using the most recent Webkit build (r176637), which was issued on 12/02/14. I've never seen Webkit nightlies go so long without an update.

3. k-hawinkler macrumors member

k-hawinkler

Same here, running MacPro, 6-core, loaded.

4. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Same here on mid 14 MBP. I've cleared cache but not sure what else I could do. Pages seem to hang up for a few seconds and that stickin' blue bar just chills out for those few seconds. Occasionally I'll get "Safari couldn't load page".

5. severage macrumors regular

I had this issue previously (late 2013 rMBP), or something similar, on 10.10

It would commonly beachball if I tried to open a new tab, delays would happen if I tried to switch tabs, just general slowness. It was working perfectly before. Now, I'm not sure what fixed the issue, but I emptied caches, reset PRAM and SMC, and I used OnyX to clean up the computer (just default settings).

I think that one of those things helped the issue. I also upgraded to 10.10.1, and the issue is gone, although I see you're on 10.10.2

6. waring192 macrumors member

Same problem for me, started since updating to the 10.10.2

7. oopsroger macrumors regular

oopsroger

It's driving me nuts

For the past 2 days I constantly have the following problem. Some websites randomly become unaccessible to me (see attachment). Sometimes this site, sometimes that, totally random, even Google.com sometimes.

As I'm able to re-connect to the broke sites, some photos are not shown correctly.

Attached Files:

8. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

I get the same ? mark for images the past few days on 10.10.1 in Safari...8.0.1 (yes I grabbed it before it was pulled) and mainly it's on Amazon where every image is like that. Also Safari does seem to have slowed a bit lately.

May clear the cache and see how it goes.

9. poweryn, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

poweryn macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, some website were unaccessible, some were not fully loaded. My problem got solved completely after changing these two things, although I am not sure about the first one and what does it change:

1. Go to Settings >> network >> Advanced >> TCP/IP

Change IPV6 to Link Local only as shown here
    [​IMG]

2. On the same window go to DNS tab and change to this one (open dans):

Like shown here:

[​IMG]

Try it, it might solve your problem.

10. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I'm starting to get really annoyed. Some sites are just completely not loading at all. I keep having to go to websitedown.info to make sure the site is actually online. And when it IS online, I just get really irritated. Something has to be going on. :mad:

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

There is a lot of DDOS DNS attacks going on at the moment, check to see if your ISP is affected, or you can try using Google DNS to see if that improves matters (8.8.8.8).

Remember to revert to your ISP DNS at some stage otherwise you may get less optimal routing to some sites under normal circumstances.

12. 0x100, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

13. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

WebKit nightly builds not built recently

I, too, find that extraordinary.

I dream of a WebKit nightly Safari on Yosemite to adopt a more Mac-like appearance.

14. k-hawinkler macrumors member

k-hawinkler

Excellent points. I now use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Big improvement!

Also the latest version of FireFox works just fine for me with youtube.com and mail.google.com whereas Safari doesn't. Safari seems confused about web Certificates.

I also used ClamXav from the App Store and found some unrelated issues. YMMV.

15. k-hawinkler macrumors member

k-hawinkler

Safari still doesn't work correctly. What to do?

16. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Vaguely

Which build of OS X 10.10.2?

Which build of Safari?

Without detailing the symptoms (avoiding discussion of pre-release software): can you reproduce the same symptoms with WebKit.app?

WebKit Nightly Builds

17. KompleX macrumors regular

how did you guys get 10.10.2? it's not showing up in the software update.

18. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin