Safari starting to get annoying

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 3bs, Sep 17, 2011.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Ever since I upgraded to Lion the day it came out, I decided to use Safari as my main browser instead of Chrome. I didn't have any problems and I got used to it but for like a week or so now it's become slow and I get beach balls frequently.. It can be very frustrating at times. I usually don't have that many things open at the same time and I'm sure I have enough ram. Anyone else notice anything like this?

2. echo.park macrumors regular

echo.park

Seems absolutely 'not' normal to me. Maybe to many plug-ins? Maybe some ****** plug-in? Did you try to turn off all plug-ins? Did you reset Safari and clean the cache?

3. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Clicktoflash. adblock. 1password. lock tab and duplicate tab. I'll uninstall the last two cause I never use them and empty cache and see how it goes

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

If you have only 2 gigs of RAM, chances are, Safari is eating up all of your ram and you're going to get slowdown as a result.

Make sure you are quitting the program when you aren't using it and simply not closing it; however, from what I have read, Lion tries to keep certain applications open and that might be a problem for you.

6. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I never keep apps open when I'm done with them. And I have 4 gigs of ram and never go under 1.5gb free

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've read several threads that say there's a memory leak in Safari in 10.7. So it's probably best to just restart the machine every once in a while or use a different browser.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I'm finding that Safari does best if I quit it, wait a moment, then re-open it at least once a day.

It re-opens all your tabs and windows, so it's not a big deal to do so.

9. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I quit Safari a couple dozen times a day lol

I'm just not sure why it started happening now.. It was fine for almost 2 months

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

What kind of Mac do you have? Have you done the recent EFI updates or any other software updates?

If you're sure you have enough RAM, and simple things such as restarting don't resolve the issue then it's either the OS itself or lots of beach-balling could be a sign of a failing HDD - don´t freak out though because there's no need to rush to conclusions.

Try the simple fixes first and just keep your files backed-up. Hopefully the next OS update will resolve the issues.

11. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

2010 MBA 11" ultimate

12. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

First, try using a different browser to make sure it's Safari.

In case of Safari's fault, probably could be:

-memory leak (there's a long thread here in MR).
    -plugin (uninstall Adobe Flash)
    -adblock plugin. Are you using the Michael Gundlach version (http://safariadblock.com)

13. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I have clicktoflash so I don't need to uninstall flash and yeah that's the version of adblock I'm using

14. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

15. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

What I hate about safari I lion are all the stupid animations they put in for when you click to download a file or add a page to reading list. I dont need to see it fly away to Downloads. I just want it to download. Is that too hard to understand apple

Now you guys in the forum could say well why not use google chrome or firefox. My simple answer is. I have tried both of them, they are both rubish

My final thought is. Apple please take note. Lots of your customers are upgrading back to snow leopard because of the clusterf**k that you called lion. Lion does not work and needs to be taken behind the shed and shot to put it out of it's misery

16. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Mmm how do you know it's a lot? THere are only a tiny bit of a fraction that come here, and I could argue that we're all "mac enthusiasts", so of course we want the "best".

The average consumer doesn't even consider going back down to SL.

But anyway; what don't you like about Chrome or Firefox? Granted I use canary exclusively, what do you like about Safari that you don't like about the other two?

Just wondering; because Safari does look more polished; it's always been the performance that kept me away.