Safari still crashes after 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nickb, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Nickb macrumors regular

has this happened to anyone else yet? it crashed on me twice last night, once when i was in the middle of inputting my credit card details into a site - so was pretty bad timing really to say the least

does anyone have and suggestions for fixes? i restored my phone to 2.1 as it went west when i tried updating - so its a clean install

any ideas?

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It has crashed on me too, but only at about 20% of the rate pre-2.1.

No fixes here, but that's my only complaint too, so it's not that big a deal for me.

Having owned them for years, I don't think a non-crashing smartphone exists. I think it's just the nature of the beast. Apple has made this more stable than my Treo in one fell swoop.

Not saying there isn't room for improvement though.

3. ttopp macrumors regular

yip this issue is still outstanding as of day one...

mines is mainly when inputting text about 99% o crashes are then..

its no a wish list item or missing feature its an actual bug, is this the longest running iphone problem??? we should start a poll lol

4. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Crashing just as much as 2.0.2 here. Back before 2.0, it would crash just straight to the home screen, after 2.0, it's been going black except for the top status bar, then it finally goes back to home screen.

5. chrisblore macrumors regular

Safari is still as crashy as ever and Apple, as ever, seem not to acknowledge that there is a problem or do anything about it. I don't even care about the missing features but having a browser that crashes as often as it does in general use cannot be acceptable in anyone's eyes. :mad:

6. Nickb thread starter macrumors regular

yep thats the same as me, goes blank and i have to generally hit the home button a few times to get it back -

was most annoying last night as i was typing my security number in :eek: hope it was ok n not dodge that it crashed in the middle of doing it - had to do it all again

7. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Crashing on me more than ever. It's really annoying. Has anyone restored their phone? I'm thinking of trying that. In general, i'm not too happy with 2.1

8. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Still crashing for me too. Probably the most annoying bug on the iPhone for me as I use safari so much. Usually happens when you have a few tabs open, a page that has a lot of script, and you are text inputting at the same time.

My tips to prevent crashes:
    Try to keep to having just one tab in safari, especially when data inputting
    Try to wait for the page to load fully before scrolling/typing etc

9. Nickb thread starter macrumors regular

yeah good point, i tried this afterwards - let the page fully load and it worked ok - and i think that having less tabs is defo key.

i also found that it crashed more when i was on 3G?

10. 3kids macrumors regular

my first generation iphone is still crashing. Last time I went to the genius bar he said it was crashing a lot more than should be expected. Gave me a few tips, said if it continued to call Apple. I think it is time to call them back.

11. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Please Fix Safari

I hope they fix this soon. It's REALLY annoying when your, for example, tying a long thread in MacRumors and it crashes before you can hit send. :mad:

Cheers.
    :):apple: