Safari still refresh when swiping back for anyone else?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by coldjeanzzz, Oct 12, 2013.

1. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Someone said they had fixed this and I thought so too when I tried it out and I wasn't getting full page reloads. But after testing more websites it seems to still do it. The page swipes are so convenient and would be 10x more useful if they just fricken removed the reloads

Drives me insane :mad:

2. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

It still does it occasionally, though not nearly as frequently. Enough that I almost don't care anymore.

Though I don't understand why they can't replicate the Google Chrome behaviour. It's baffling.

3. bwat47 macrumors regular

There are some extensions that will cause this to happen a lot, most commonly by the safari adblock extension. If I disable this extension it almost never refreshes when I go back via swipe.

I settled for leaving the extension enabled but whitelisting all the sites that I usually use that don't have annoying ads.

4. Total Respray macrumors member

Happens to me even with a fresh machine with no add-ons. The worst part is when scrolling before it has finished refreshing - Safari then takes you to the top of the page even if you were a long way down, thus losing the point where I was at on the page. Most exasperating for an otherwise accomplished browser.

5. LV426, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

LV426 macrumors 6502a

The decision about whether a page is to be refreshed or not when reloaded is in large part down to how the page responds to the original browser request. Turn on Develop / Show Page Resources and have a look at the RHS, in particular the 'Response Headers' section. It's here where caching directives, expiry etc. are set by the website concerned. The details are pretty complicated, so you might need to do a bit of googling afterwards.

There are pages and web resources that can and should be happily cached in your browser; there are others, however, that should never be cached under any circumstances. Payment website pages, for example.

Having said this, Safari seems to ignore matter-of-fact response headers that ask for the page to be held in the browser's cache for a certain period of time. It's been doing this as long as I can remember.

6. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

This is the single biggest complaint I have in Mavericks... Drives me nuts, especially here on MacRumors... I'm trying to not go back to Chrome...

7. msvadi macrumors regular

Will this ever be fixed? Chrome does not reload pages with the same ad-ons enabled.

Btw, I don't want to use Chrome, I really prefer Safari (for a number of other reasons).

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, once there are no more reloads for page swiping, i feel Safari will be perfect.

9. tgd85 macrumors member

This was one of my biggest complaints with Safari 6. There are several threats over at Apple's Support pages about this. After installing Mavericks and Safari 7, the problem seemed to disappear.

However, some time yesterday, this old bug started to show its ugly face again, and Safari has been back to it's old habits again.

I don't know if this is at all related, but several days ago, Safari Web Content was causing sustained 105% CPU usage. After searching a few threads here, I decided to "Reset Safari".

Only since then has my swipe-reload issue reared its ugly face...

10. kot macrumors regular

Such behavior, I believe, is not a problem, it is actually how it should be done. Going back one page is the same as manually typing the address of the page and hitting enter, it must fetch a new page because the page might have changed since your last visit. If it is not reloaded then it might display incorrect, out-of-date information or lead to other more complex problems.

11. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Rubbish.

Web pages often return header information about when they 'expire'. Browsers are supposed to pay attention to this information and obtain page data from their cache when the expiry period has not elapsed.

Safari does not seem to do this.

The correct back-swipe behaviour should be:

1. Use cached information if the page's headers indicate that the page has not expired.
    2. Reload the page from the internet if the page's headers indicate that the page has expired, or no expiry is set in the header.

12. mds1256 macrumors regular

Hi

I logged this with Apple as a bug as it irritates me too.

They have came back to me and requested a screen recording of it happening.

I dont have any screen recording software and wondered if anyone else who is experiencing this and has any software to record this happening could do a really short video (under 30 seconds) if it occuring and either post it on here or upload it to youtube so I can send it on to them?

13. coldjeanzzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can screen record with Quicktime

14. mds1256 macrumors regular

Nice!

Didnt know that.... I will get that done and sent off to them :)