Safari stops my DSL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gacxx, Jan 27, 2010.

1. gacxx macrumors regular

gacxx

So for a while I've had AT&T DSL, and it works great. But in the beginning it didn't. All the time, the DSL would lose connection or something so the dsl light would turn red on the modem. It was really frustrating, and we had multiple people come over to try and fix the the problem, but it was never resolved.

That whole time I was mainly using Safari, and it only happened when I was using Safari. Once I realized that, I stopped using it, and went back to firefox. I had no problems with my internet up till now. I tried using safari recently because I really liked the speed because I have snow leopard (I was using safari a bit while I still had cable internet and no problems). The same thing is happening again.

The DSL light suddenly turns red on my modem/router (it's a 2 in 1) while using Safari. It just happens randomly- i cold be surfing for a minute, and then it will just cut out. I have Mac OS X 10.6.2, and it has all the updates. I'm also running the most current version of Safari. I've just tried to reinstall safari, but it still is doing this. Can any of you help me?

2. glowfly macrumors member

try switching your browser. Try using google chrome.

3. gacxx thread starter macrumors regular

gacxx

I'm already using Firefox, but I want to know if the problem is fixable.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. Whatever problem you are having has nothing to do with Safari. DSL is an "always-on" technology. Nothing in Safari can turn it off. Safari does not communicate with your modem. It communicates with the MacOS X TCP/IP stack.

Of the broadband technologies, DSL is one of the least reliable. After all, it is transported over standard telephone land lines. One of the limiting factors for the quality of service for DSL is the number of simultaneous connections through your phone company's local central office.

Another issue that may come into play are changes to your home telephone network. Have you added jacks in your home?

BTW, you really should be using a router. It will do nothing to solve your problem, but it will improve your Internet experience.

The phone company has the responsibility to maintain the lines reaching your home. You are responsible for the lines inside. If your problem persists, then you should have your phone company test the connection.

5. gacxx thread starter macrumors regular

gacxx

I do have all the jacks installed. There is nothing wrong with the line, because it was checked already. It only stops when I'm using Safari- it never does it when using Firefox, Namaroka, Chrome or Opera. It also seems to only happen when another computer is on while I'm on.

It is a modem and router at the same time.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This clearly isn't a problem with the line, as it's limited to the single browser. In any case, the number of simultaneous users will affect any broadband technology. I believe that cable is even more susceptible to slowdowns when many users are connected.

7. gacxx thread starter macrumors regular

gacxx

It is quite odd that the problem only happens when using Safari though. There are usually at least two computers on the network at any given time during the day. Upwards of 4 users have been on at the same time, and the DSL worked properly.

Let me describe the situation a little better. The modem is in my room, So I can always see the activity lights. Suddenly when using Safari, the DSL light will turn red, and the internet light will go out. The Power, Wifi, and Ethernet light stay green. Because they stay green, I know that the modem is not shutting off.

Are there settings in Safari that can "crash" an internet connection?

8. gacxx thread starter macrumors regular

gacxx

Ok. Months later and this is still a problem. I want to use Safari again because of the new update. It is still doing what I explained to the dsl!

Also, Chrome does the same thing but only when I quit chrome. The second I quit chrome it usually stops my dsl as described before.

Can anyone offer advice?!

9. Nonentity macrumors member

Aha! I've spent all day looking into this. I got in from work yesterday and installed Safari 5. Since then my DSL will stop working whenever I load a page in safari. I have to reset my modem every time. I can use firefox and chrome perfectly fine. It only happens with Safari 5. This makes no sense to me. Can anyone please help?

Nons

10. mikehowett macrumors member