Safari sucks at flash?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JotaPorras, Feb 4, 2009.

1. JotaPorras macrumors newbie

Well lately I'm having trouble with safari. In youtube videos and several flash sites, I can see the video but a white square blinks frequently, not in the whole screen but in a relatively big section (like 30%). While playing flash games and animations, its goes in some sort of slow motion. I have reinstalled new and older versions of flash and I dont know what to do...

Any help would be appreciated...

PS: This is my first post :D

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I don't think it's Safari, but Flash in general. Unfortunately Flash on the MAC isn't quite as optimized as Flash on Windows IMHO. Maybe if you post your system specs it would help further.

3. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

I reccomend installing firefox if you are heavy into flash. In my experience it is much better at handlling flash stuff and is more stable in general.

4. Redline13 macrumors 6502

I totally agree.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Since I switched to a Mac 4 years ago, Flash has been my only regret. I've tried both Firefox and Safari and all latest updates, and it still stinks (primarily Hulu and Fancast are the problems for me). My PC is much older and less powerful (its an AMD Sempron 1.8GHz with 1.5GB RAM and my Mac is a Mini with a CoreDuo 2.0GHz and 2GB RAM) but plays the same videos on the same wired ethernet connection MUCH smoother. But I can live with it - the PC has too many "other" problems. :D

EDIT: Firefox doesn't seem to be as problematic - so yeah, I recommend Firefox for Flash on the Mac, too.

6. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I believe it's just flash. Flash has always sucked. The PC version sucks less in the same way that getting an arm cut off sucks less than being shot in the groin.

7. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Adobe's Flash implementation for OS X is, hm, "sub-optimal", to put it friendly. It takes ages to load and shows poor runtime performance (compared to its Windows sibling). It's better on the Intel Macs, but the PowerPC-version is almost an insult to users.

However, the Windows-version of Flash also has its own share of issues and bugs, so I don't want to be too hard on the Mac version.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Excellent analogy. Although it's true... I am amazed that my Atom-based Windows XP box can do a better job with higher resolution flash video than my iMac G5....

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I am a web designer as well as other things, and I must say that it may not be apple's fault. I think it's the way flash has been designed as a technology.

In my sites, I void using flash as much as possible. Performance is a good reason for that among others.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is the largest share -- I mean, essentially, Flash frequently takes a 2006-2008 computer and strains to stream video at a quality that was feasible using Quicktime, WMP, Real, etc, in ... what, 2001 or so? Maybe even earlier? Granted that streaming video in 2001 meant waiting for it to buffer, and constantly updating codecs, and finding that the codecs you had weren't compatible with the video you wanted, and so on. But nonetheless, technologically, video at the quality that Youtube presents was transmittable over the web and replayable on notebook and desktop computers quite a long time ago, when those computers had a small fraction of the speed of today's computers. It offers some really great power for the web, but at the same time, it's horribly inefficient to achieve that power.

I've also heard deeper reasons on why Adobe can't even make Flash as efficient on Linux and OS X as it is on Windows, but then again they did significantly bump the speed on Flash 10. So I wouldn't let them off the hook either.

11. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Good analogy - and very true. Couldn't have said it better myself... oh wait, I didn't say it better myself. :cool:

12. JotaPorras thread starter macrumors newbie

Well here are the specs if someone can work out a thing about it.

20" iMac 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo.
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM (800Mhz)
    Ati Radeon HD 2400
    250 GB Hard Drive.
    Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6

In case the specs don't give it away, it's the cheapest aluminum imac.

Also, I do have firefox, I've used it all the way since I was a windows user. But I don't use it because in think safari is faster. But this flash thing is pissing me off. The strange thing is that it worked when i first bought it and was just surfing the internet. Now the games are slow and the videos are flawed.