Safari Sucks! Dumping It. Now, How to Transfer Passwords?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macUser2007, Aug 22, 2009.

1. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

I've had it with Safari.

Since version 4, it chokes on Java, Flash and GIFs.

It crashes and quits several times a day. And it takes ages to load some pages, like iGoogle, and even some on MacRumors. The same pages open fast in Camino, and in Firefox, and I virtually never have a crash with either.

Safari crashes the same way on every one of the 3 Macs I use daily, and it crashes in exactly the same way on my Vista HTPC. I have reached the conclusion, that it just sucks as a browser.

I was hoping, that installing Snow Leopard would help, but it didn't.

So, after the last crash, a few minutes ago, I am dumping Safari. I am sick of it, and I hate it....

But, is there a relatively painless way, to be able to use all the passwords saved in my KeyChain, with either Camino, or Firefox?

Thanks.

2. omar.kababji macrumors newbie

omar.kababji

Man you seem angry, I have been using Safari 4 since its release and it crashed may be 10 times only. I never faced problems like the ones you are mentioning.

what sites does safari crash on? sometimes sites open slowly because their servers have some problems its not safari fault. But you are saying that it crashes on your 3 Mac machines which is really strange... I think your problem is something else not Safari.

about the real question, I don't know.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Are you using a firewall, ect that could be causing the issue?

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

What sites are you using, were it crashes and or chokes? Give me a example please. I would like to see out of interest

5. djellison macrumors 68020

FWIW - my mileage was pretty much the same as the OP's until 10.5.7.

It's now just slow and clunky rather than slow and clunky and crashing 10x a day.

Personally - I put it down to Adobe's utterly unacceptable implementation of Flash for OSX.

6. macUser2007 thread starter macrumors 65832

Yeah, maybe I was a bit too testy, because I had almost finished a long post in Safari, and it quit on me... :(

I notice it constantly on my iGoogle page, which has several widgets (calendar, clock, stocks, email widgets, maps....) It loads the page slower than either Firefox (3.52), or Camino (Beta 2.0b3), sometimes many times slower.

But, it chokes on many other pages, as well. Even sometimes on macrumors. This is on 2 iMacs and a MacBook.

On my Vista HTPC, it would get stuck and not load a page at times, even if I try to reload. If I try the same page with Firefox, or with IE 8 (which is stable, but I dislike the UI), it opens just fine.

I've been using Safari for years, but the constant crashes started with v.4.

7. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

regarding the OP...I got a radical notion...

Get a pen and paper...wait, what am I thinking? Open a new document, note down the passwords. You can cut and paste them back in Firefox.

Actually, I think you can open Keychain Access and edit the specific keychain. Maybe.

8. shwc macrumors regular

Regarding safari crashing: try turning off the fraudulent website warning system (safari preferences>security)
    See this apple discussion thread

I know it sounds strange, but it worked for me.

As to your original question, I do not have any words of wisdom.

9. celticpride678

10. macUser2007 thread starter macrumors 65832

Thanks for this.

I disabled it, and it stopped the sudden quitting.

It still fails to load pages from time to time, and it still seems to take forever with some pages, but at least it doesn't crash all the time.