Safari Suddenly Slow on 2012 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mstgkillr, Jun 13, 2014.

1. mstgkillr macrumors regular

Any idea why a 2012 Mac Mini 2.3 Quad-Core with a 1TB Fusion drive would suddenly slow down loading webpages in Safari. One day everything was find and the next day it took several minutes just to load Macrumors.com.

So far I have erased the cache, shut down and restarted the Mac Mini, even restored a Time Machine backup but the problem persists. Right now I'm in the middle of a complete wipe and fresh install. Any idea if it doesn't work after that?

2. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

No idea...

Same with mine on a 2011 version. Tried everything. Even got a new Modem from my cable company. Did a complete wipe as a last resort and so far its working just fine again. Thought maybe it was the MacMini Airport/Bluetooth board.

Good luck and keep us informed

3. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

What type of drive do you have, hdd, ssd, or fusion. I was thinking it might be the hhd portion of the fusion drive.

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Safari startup was slowed once again today. Took about 25/30 seconds after clicking on the Safari icon until it appeared on screen. My cable company as mentioned gave me a new modem, I have it set at 5 Ghz, and sits right next to the Apple Extreme, which is about 5 months old. Nothing else that I can think of that is affecting the start up. :(

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

What version of the OS are you running?

If it's Mavericks, try going back to Mountain Lion...
    (serious suggestion)

Second thought:
    When was the last time you rebooted your Mini?

6. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Latest Mavericks with 8 GB memory. I toyed with Lion for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago, and it did seem snappier, but that was only a few minutes of testing. Might be Mavericks that is the issue, but not sure.

7. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

I thought I solved the problem after a clean install of OSX and restoring a Time Machine Backup. Everything was working fine until I unplugged the ethernet cable from my Time Capsule to Mac Mini. I assume the problem is still with the Mac Mini considering my 13" RMBP, 15" RMBP, iPhones, and iPad all work just fine over WiFi using the same Time Capsule. Anything else that I can try before I take it to an Apple Store?

8. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

No OP, but please tell Apple about this in detail and ask if it could be the MacMini Airport board and see if they have heard of this before. Please post this on the thread. Thanks and good luck

9. elolaugesen macrumors regular

Have you tried another browser like chrome,firefox etc. just to eliminate the safari issue?

Cheers elo

10. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Not for me...

I like Safari myself, and hard to break the habit ;) I'll wait a bit than make that decision.

Besides, this has not happened before, so I'm leaning to a MacMini or Maverick issue