Safari swipe to go back bug

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by eda, Oct 23, 2013.

1. eda macrumors member

I've just been experiencing a very annoying bug with the swipe to go back feature in Safari. Every time I swipe the mouse to go back it freezes the page that I was on and doesn't allow me to load any other page (by entering in the address bar or clicking a bookmark).

Is anyone else having this issue?

You can see that it only reveals a small slice of the previous page before crashing: Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 18.34.08.png

2. II BISTRO II macrumors member

i can't seem to replicate this bug, safari swipes seem to be working fine for me

3. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

happened to me twice, and both times, had to reboot. been fine since (this last time was about 6 hours ago), so...am keeping an eye on it.

4. joshcls macrumors 6502

joshcls

A fix that worked for me:

Closed out of safari
    Went to System preferences > mouse > unchecked "Swipe between pages"
    Turned mouse on and off (physically with power switch)
    Went to System preferences > mouse > checked "Swipe between pages"
    Restarted safari

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Happens to me but there is no pattern. Very random. I experienced it a lot during some of the DPs then it went. Now it's back.

6. eda thread starter macrumors member

It's every time for me! Had to turn it off in the mouse settings :(

----------

Ooh yes that's worked for me too! Thanks!

7. RLRabb macrumors newbie

It's happening to me as well on my rMBP. Unfortunately, there is no way to turn my trackpad off and on, so there doesn't appear to be a fix.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thanks, I can't reboot now so I'll give that a shot.

Thought it was weird that after upgrading to Mavericks "Swipe between pages" was deactivated on both the Macs I upgraded. Subtle hint from Apple? :D

9. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

same thing here, just happened again. seems to be related to my trackpad.
    i can CLICK on the back arrow, or scroll with the up/down arrows, but no 2-finger scrolling, etc...

UGH.

10. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I experienced this a few times, though I only lost that tab, didn't have to restart the computer or even safari. Hasn't happened in a while but happened a lot originally.

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

12. sliceoftoast, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Yes this is also happening for me as well and giving me the *****. Deleting the safari prefs file doesn't seem to do anything either does rebooting. Haven't tried PRAM yet.

-------------

FIXED!

This worked for me, I opened safari, Clicked on the Safari menu option and select " reset safari" After doing this swipe worked. Remember doing this will erase any saved passwords

13. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I know, necrothread, but relevant. I've had this problem too, but all the buttons still work, the items are clickable, menus work, the address bar works, I can switch tabs, but I cannot get the content on those tabs to change or scroll unless I close the tab the freeze occurred on. Swiping back on the remaining tab just causes this problem again.

Edit: The gesture to scroll doesn't work in remaining windows either. Highlight works fine.

14. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

happens here occasionally still...now in 10.9.3. annoying, and i usually reboot. quitting and re-opening safari doesn't help. and i don't want to keep resetting safari...

ah, well...

15. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

safari doesn't outright die on me from this. command+w after copying the address from the bar and opening a new window works fine. its just tedious as hell.

16. amalius macrumors newbie

found reports that resetting your NVRAM may help ... on start, directly at the chime, hold command+alt+P+R until Mac reboots.

17. JohnArtist macrumors member

Here is an easier fix that someone discovered in another post on Apple.com. It worked for a bunch of us and it's EASIER and QUICKER than zapping the PRAM and restarting:

Simply press Ctrl + Shift + Eject key (puts machine to sleep, or you can do it from the Apple menu), then press a key to wake it back up, and the problem is gone!

I know... weird, huh?!

18. KALLT macrumors 601

I wrote a big report on this two years ago. It was closed a few months ago and Apple’s response was: this is now fixed in El Capitan. o_O