Safari switch tab gesture

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ardchoille50, Jun 20, 2015.

1. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

This is something that I stumbled upon a few minutes ago. I was unaware of a gesture that allows us to switch tabs in Safari.. until now. I know that we can pinch a tab in Safari to zoom out and see all open tabs. However, if you pinch just enough so that you can see the edges of adjacent tabs, you can then hold the pinch there, before the full zoom out, and swipe sideways to move to the next tab. I'm unsure of which iOS version first allowed this but I am running iOS 8.3 on an iPad Air 2 and this gesture works perfectly to switch tabs.

2. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

3. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Nice tip, you can get it down to one swift movement with a bit of practice.

FYI this also works on iPhone 6 in landscape mode only.

4. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, seems to be dependent on the pinch-to-see-open-tabs feature. Thank you for posting about landscape mode, I hadn't tested that mode.

5. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

Assuming this is dependent on the All Tabs view, that means it's available in iOS ≥8.0.

6. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Would somebody mind posting a video of this? I can't seem to figure it out.

7. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

You can also swap the tabs for side to side by pinching in to see the tabs and then flick the one you want to move over to where you want it.

Or swip it over to the left to close it completely.

I thought everyone knew about this.

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

https://vid.me/AJms
    You probably want a video on external camera with fingers in view too but this is the best I could do now...
    So at first I am just pinching to zoom out to show the two tabs. Then I show what happens when you only pinch a little bit and then while your two fingers are still on the screen, swiping them left or right together.
    The first stutter was on my phone (not just the video) unfortunately. One of the swipes in there is really neat, barely zooming out at all. One of them fails cos I didn't pinch enough.