Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I have just downloaded an update to Safari. Previously the tab bars were fixed in width unless the full width of the browser was full with them, in which case it squashed them down.

Now the tabs fill the full width of the browser. I think it is weaker for usability, but I cannot find a way to change back.

Why is it weaker for usability? There are some sites (mostly news sites) where I open multiple tabs, then read each story, closing the tab before reading the next.

Before the close button would stay in the same position because of the fixed width. Now only the left hand tab stays in the same place.

Sometimes I'll have email open in the first tab, or I see a story I want to go back to, so I'm often not reading the first tab.

Another problem is if I am switching between multiple tabs, I knew where they were under the old system. Now if I open a new tab, they have all moved.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
I have just downloaded an update to Safari. Previously the tab bars were fixed in width unless the full width of the browser was full with them, in which case it squashed them down.

Now the tabs fill the full width of the browser. I think it is weaker for usability, but I cannot find a way to change back.

Why is it weaker for usability? There are some sites (mostly news sites) where I open multiple tabs, then read each story, closing the tab before reading the next.

Before the close button would stay in the same position because of the fixed width. Now only the left hand tab stays in the same place.

Sometimes I'll have email open in the first tab, or I see a story I want to go back to, so I'm often not reading the first tab.

Another problem is if I am switching between multiple tabs, I knew where they were under the old system. Now if I open a new tab, they have all moved.

Annoying, isn't it? Try this extension: http://www.machangout.com

utahusker

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
Yes, it does, but not by default. Goto Safari>Preferences>Glims>Tabs misc>Disable Safari Wide Tabs Labels.
Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't have that option in the Tabs Misc selection. The only option I have is "Show Favicon on tab label"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.