Safari - Tab Buttom ? / No New Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pyles, Apr 2, 2009.

1. pyles macrumors newbie

I am really trying to like Safari (because it is hecka fast...) But I can't get over a few things.

I hate the inability to have a "New Tab" button on the task bar up top.. Is there anyway to do that (as in firefox?)

And is there anyway to get safari to not open new windows, when google reader opens a link it always goes to new window (in FF it doesnt)

Any way to do any of this?

Thanks guys!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

In the Safari 4 beta there is a new tab button at the top right hand of all safari windows. As for the other annoyance, if you hold down the command key when clicking on a link it will open in a new tab.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I just feel whenever somebody ask this question, there are good chance that they don't want to press cmd key whenever they try to open something in a new tab. Thats not convenient at all.

There is a addon called safaristand which supposedly can do this for safari.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

With practice, pressing Command + T becomes a lot more practical to open a new tab then moving the mouse over a button.
    Also, an easier way to open a link in a new tab with only the mouse is to enable right clicking on your Mac, then to right click the link and select "open in new tab". So much faster than that keyboard + mouse nonsense.

5. pyles thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is just when sitting back in my chair or when my keyboard is pushed under desk and I am just browsing/reading I would rather not have to pull keyboard out and go from there. Just a hassle.

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Open terminal and type
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

That works really well or I might suggest performing a right click on the link/item and opting for the "Open in New Tab" option.

8. ihabime macrumors 6502

Double clicking on the background of the tab bar will open a new tab, no need for add-ons.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

read OP's question more closely.

PS. does safari 4B has this function at all?

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yes it is. I use Cmd-T is Firefox too as it is quicker than using the mouse.

11. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

It does but only if you revert the god awful tabs to the way they were in Safari 3.x. :p

12. portent macrumors 6502a

It seems like double-clicking the tab bar solves his problem (quickly opening a new tab with the mouse) quite effectively.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

let me count
    1. double click on tabbar
    2. click "new tab" button on tabbar or toolbar
    3. simply click any link

on top of that
    Firefox's best benefit shouldn't be overlooked.

with any mouse gesture addon, just move mice a bit, a new tab will open.

I dont think cmd+t is really that convenient compare to those. Especially if you are a normal mice user.

read:

14. ihabime macrumors 6502

I did read the OPs question closely and in it's entirety, perhaps you should check your reading comprehension. I've highlighted the relevant bits below to help you out.

The underlined 'and' shows that there are actually two questions. The first asks about a new tab button like Firefox and the second asks about opening a link in a new tab.

I was obviously answering the first question, double clicking the background of the tab bar performs the same action as clicking firefox's new tab button.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

with no further argument over meaningless stuff. I agree there were two problems in the original posts, and your proposal does solve the first problem.

But I guess it may or may not be a permanent solution for that problem neither, since safari 4 will be out soon, and the solution you proposed, so far at least, looks like is going to be removed from the safari.