Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdaddy3000

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2023
FWIW I discovered a different solution after toggling Safari off/on in iCloud preferences didn’t work for me.

On my iOS device, I tried to Share one of the problem Tab Groups via the Messages app. This appeared to trigger something b/c my other devices suddenly “saw” the group and began syncing again. Did not even need to send the message - simply starting that action by opening the messages app was enough.

l_deslauriers

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2023
FWIW I discovered a different solution after toggling Safari off/on in iCloud preferences didn’t work for me.

On my iOS device, I tried to Share one of the problem Tab Groups via the Messages app. This appeared to trigger something b/c my other devices suddenly “saw” the group and began syncing again. Did not even need to send the message - simply starting that action by opening the messages app was enough.
Thanks a lot. Toggling off/on didn't work for me (even when Safari off + restart of devices). Starting a shared message worked even without sending. Realized tabs were slower. It was because they were shared. But they were shared with no-one. So I just cancelled the share. Anyways, thanks!

Reactions: macdaddy3000

KSB

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2005

This fixed my issue as well! I tried the toggle of safari off/on without any luck, but your share suggestion, tabs are starting to pop up on my mac desktop which was missing them :)

martinlk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark

This also worked for me. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Only the tab groups where I initiate a share (I don't actually send anything) seem to pop up on my Mac. All other tab groups are still missing. Guess I'll have to go through them all.

KSB

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2005
This also worked for me. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Only the tab groups where I initiate a share (I don't actually send anything) seem to pop up on my Mac. All other tab groups are still missing. Guess I'll have to go through them all.
Yeah you sadly have to go through them all, but it seems after that, things just work — tried to create a new tab group on the device which didn't sync, and it synced perfectly with all devices.

this solution has now worked for almost a month without hickups, so macdaddy3000 deserves all the praise 👏🏻

Six Mac Abs

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2019

Can confirm, this just fixed the issue for me too! Thanks, this has been driving me nuts for weeks now.

kovaxs8

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2023
I have a similar issue: I erased my MacBook Pro 13.5.1 (22G90), and after that, old tab groups didn't sync. Turning off and back on Safari in the iCloud settings didn't work for me. Here's how I solved it: I re-synced each tab group manually.

Here's the step-by-step process:

1. Go to the device that has all your old tab groups.
  2. Right-click (or hold, in the case of an iPad or iPhone) until the options menu appears. View attachment 2251662
  3. Click on 'Share' and then click on 'Messages'. You don't actually have to share it; just wait until the tab group preview loads. After that, the tab should be synced back to all your devices. View attachment 2251663 View attachment 2251664 View attachment 2251665
  4. Repeat this for each tab.

Reactions: Veext

attila

macrumors 6502a

THIS worked for me!

I had to do this with every tab group, though. But I'll take it!

macdaddy3000

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2023
I have a similar issue: I erased my MacBook Pro 13.5.1 (22G90), and after that, old tab groups didn't sync. Turning off and back on Safari in the iCloud settings didn't work for me. Here's how I solved it: I re-synced each tab group manually.

Here's the step-by-step process:

1. Go to the device that has all your old tab groups.
  2. Right-click (or hold, in the case of an iPad or iPhone) until the options menu appears. View attachment 2251662
  3. Click on 'Share' and then click on 'Messages'. You don't actually have to share it; just wait until the tab group preview loads. After that, the tab should be synced back to all your devices. View attachment 2251663 View attachment 2251664 View attachment 2251665
  4. Repeat this for each tab.
Excellent! Sounds like the same concept discovered on iOS, but translated to Mac OS. Thanks for sharing the detailed step-by-step.

Jagfel

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023

Did the trick for me too! Man, I'm a happy camper again! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.