Safari tabs lag and unresponsive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wankey, Jun 9, 2010.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

When you drag a tab off the tab bar, it turns into a tiny screenshot of the window.

Usually when you let go of the mouse, that window zooms into a full window.

Same as when you drag a tab off a window, it turns into a window and you can put it back into the tab bar on the window behind it.

The problem i'm having is that whenever you drag a tab off the tab bar and let go, it doesn't resize. The image is stuck onto your mouse for about 4-5 seconds and THEN it resizes. This happens the same way as putting a tab into the window behind it, instead you have a tab stuck to your mouse for 4-5 seconds until it's added to the window behind it.

Anyone know how to fix this? It started in Safari 4 (about a month ago) and now is still problematic in Safari 5.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Agreed, it takes about 1 entire second for it to react to being dropped since I upgraded to Safari 5. It was instant in Safari 4.

3. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

1 second?? I've counted, it takes 7 seconds for the tab to be unstuck on my mouse. Must be fixed.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'm corroborating this claim. It is noticeably less responsive than in Safari 4.

Typical Apple; Fix this? OK, break this!

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just delete you huge Safari cache file. See if that helps.

6. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

No issues with lag here. I hardly ever use the feature but I tried it just to justify your claim. It's pretty much instant on my MacBook with no perceivable lag. Maybe try resetting Safari and see if that helps.

7. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

8. anthonybsd macrumors member

Same here, as soon as Safari 5 rolled out I get massive lag after the drops 3-4 seconds at least. I'm on Core I7 MBP w/SSD.

9. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Instant here, too. BUT there is a lag after like 3-4 h of using Safari after it baloons up to 1 GB of RAM usage. Have fun dragging anything then. :p Have always to restart it and it’s good again.

Safari IS a hog on the resources but a damn handsome one. That is why I keep using it.

Does the lag happen instantly after opening Safari or after some time of usage?

10. anthonybsd macrumors member

Lag happens instantly for me on a freshly started Safari. It seems like it's programmed in or some crazy crap like this. I.e. it's not that CPU or any other resources spike, it just chooses not to register "drop" until seconds have passed.

11. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

anthonybsd, try to disable Top Sites and see it it helps. Without Top Sites enabled Safari uses as little memory as 200-300 MB (which is little for Safari) and may not lag as much.

12. moio macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem, is there a fix available yet?