Safari - tabs question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

When I perform a Google search and click on any of the links that show up, Safari will always open that very link in the same window. How to make Safari open each link I click in a new tab?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Open Safari Preferences>Tabs>Click boxes on how you want tabs to behave.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Go to Settings on the Google Search page in the upper right of the window and choose Search Settings (You must be logged in with a Google account I think). Then scroll down toward the bottom and check the box for "Results Window --> Open search results in a new browser window."

4. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, I want search results in the same window, but whichever search result I click, I want it to open in a new tab.

@rdowns: what exactly do you mean? I have "Open pages in tabs instead of windows" on "Always" , but it doesn't help.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The Google setting says "Window" but if you have the tabs feature set right like the other person said, the search results will open in a new tab and not a new window. This is how I have my Safari set up.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hold down the Command key while clicking the link, it will open the link in a background tab.

Or take a look at Glims and its tab options.

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I did what you told me and it works now, thanks!

I do have Glims installed, but couldn't really find the option to have links open in new tabs.:confused: