iPad mini Safari tabs reloading

Discussion in 'iPad' started by noobinator, Jan 16, 2014.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

iPad mini with retina. I know I saw a thread on this before but couldn't find it.

Does everyone else with this iPad have issues with tabs refreshing when you have more than 1 open? Sometimes it even does it when I only have two tabs open. Is this just something I will have to learn to deal with or is it a defect?

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

pretty much deal with it or return it, which i chose to deal with it

3. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Pfft. You are obviously using it incorrectly. The best internet consumption device in the world can't possibly be doing that, right defenders?

4. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Stick with it, iOS 7.1 (beta) doesn't do is as much

5. jk1002 macrumors member

Mine does it too every now and then ... I dont think its a hardware issue ... I think its ios7

6. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

Wow, you didn't look very hard. Try typing "reload" into the forum search box. You'll get at least three other threads, all with reload in their thread title, with lots of discussion about the issue.

Moderators, can you lock/merge this thread so we don't rehash this all over again?

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'm a simple guy and pretty much live in one tab at a time.

I'd rather have a "true" full screen Safari on the iPad where all that crap up top hides itself.

8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I'm happy for you. The rest of us however... :(

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It was also a problem with the original Mini and a problem on the air as well. I still chose to buy a Retina Mini. You just can't type something in one tab and expect it to be there when you come back to it.

10. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

All iPad models Reload Tabs in Safari. This is a software design that needs to be updated. It's time for apple to start innovating software again. They could copy silly unnecessary jail breaking tweaks like screen shot multitasking but can't update important things like the user experience in mobile Safari.

Safari is the HEART of the iPad. Fix the damn thing!

11. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Software in the fact that when there is not enough free RAM, the software forces the tab to reload.

So not so much a software thing as it was a PROACTIVE choice by Apple to make a few $$ more on each sale of the rMini/Air, and force obsolescence prematurely.

12. seble macrumors 6502a

Tabs have reloaded in safari since my original iPod touch...

13. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Which is also very lacking in RAM. Ask the numerous iPad1 owners around here is they think the iPad 1 would be a lot better experience TODAY, if it had more RAM. Apple is notorious for being stinky with RAM, it's just that the lack of increased RAM, with the switch to 64-bit is inexcusable.

But my point was that the poster I quoted indicated that it was a software issue, when clearly it is not.

14. seble macrumors 6502a

But do you not find it funny how my 2003 PowerBook with 256mb of ram can run tiger, 10 tabs Ina browser and have a word process open and yet not reload the tabs?

15. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

OS X uses swap when RAM is exhausted, giving it a much larger available memory space. iOS does not use swap. Once the RAM is full, content will be purged to make way for something else.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I'm not sold on this being a RAM issue. I say that because I still haven't heard a good reason why graphic intensive games and other big RAM eaters don't crash and or reload? I can play FIFA 14 at blazing speeds all day but that somehow uses less RAM than a web browser with a few tabs open? Nope. Can't buy into it.

For the record I don't seem to have any of these issues with safari. There are others too that have had a good experience. That further clouds the issue. Every single device would exhibit the behavior if it was a slam dunk ram issue.

The data points to safari itself and/or iOS 7. In my opinion.

17. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

My iPad 2 began doing this if I even had only two tabs open and switched from one to the other or went to the home screen or another app and came back. I used someone else's advice in an older thread that said to hold down the power button and power down the iPad, wait a few moments and then power it back on. Somehow it clears a few things and I had not powered it down in a while. It seems to have helped some, but it's still not great.

18. seble macrumors 6502a

I've never understood why iOS doesn't use some kind of swap even 300mb or something would help... If it's because of life of flash storage, well most people replace their devices before flash is likely to die anyway!

19. Altis macrumors 68000

I won't try to say that it shouldn't have come with more RAM, but the problem is that iOS 7 isn't much good.

iOS 7 runs on devices with 512 MB of RAM, and has the same issues. Don't you think the bump to 1 GB would help? Granted, 64-bit does reduce the usable memory capacity, but that doesn't apply to the iPhone 5, for example.

My point is simply that you don't need more than 1 GB of RAM to run iOS 7 and have a few Macrumors text pages open in Safari.

My iPad 1 can do it, and it only has 256 MB of RAM. Sure, it's on iOS 5... but really, iOS 7 shouldn't use so much more RAM.

20. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

There's a big difference between the non-Retina iPads (and even the 5s) and the Retina iPads when it comes to resolution and the memory required by Safari when rendering complex web pages.

Four times the resolution with only twice as much memory is the issue.

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

And technology is all about progress. Safari reloads since original iPhone in 2007, now this is 2014 and that definitely needs to improve significantly.

Otherwise I would stick with Pentium 3 + 8MB of RAM. That thing reloads much less than browsing on my iPad Air.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

23. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

You may be right. But they won't have it fixed it for 6 months after release. Just wait 6 more months for the the 2GB version. And with optimized software.

24. calvol macrumors 6502a

25. seble macrumors 6502a

Even so. I'll definitely be considering other options when it comes to upgrade. Apple has thoroughly disappointed me with their ios devices this year. Still love the mac. ios - I've gone right off it...