Safari Tabs Suggestion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gattz, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

I know this probably won't do anything by being posted here, but what do you guys think about adding a feature in which you can combine windows based on certain other windows you choose instead of just all the windows in one?

For example, if I had four windows open, and I wanted two in one window: I could just right click the top of the window, a menu would come up, then there would be a "Combine tab with" option, and when you put your cursor over that there is sub-menu in which you choose which window you want it to be combined with.

If there is already such a feature, then tell me about it. :eek:

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You can drag a tab from one window to another. Is this what you're talking about?

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And you can also do the reverse of what Gattz wants. Drag a tab to the Desktop, and a new window will open.

4. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, that's sort of what I wanted. It still seems a hassle though because you need to have both windows visible to move tabs.

Also, I don't think with this feature you can combine windows without combining all the windows. Prove me wrong though. :)

Yeah Gregg, I know about that.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

First I'd have to understand your theory. :confused:

I just offered the reverse of your question for general information. I also discovered that if you have no tabs showing when only one page is open, you can drag a tab from another window, and two tabs will be created where there were none. In other words, it won't just create a new window. :cool:

6. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Almost there, but I want two windows with no tabs on either to be combined into one. Yes, I can do the merge all windows feature, but what I was saying is that what if I had three or more windows and I just wanted two of them to be combined?

7. haiggy macrumors 65816

Pretty sure this used to be a feature of Safari 3 but they removed it.... :(

Edit: It was done by holding command and clicking on the top title bar and dragging to the other tab bar AFAIK

8. devburke Guest

It wasn’t removed. Just make sure you have the tab bar showing in the window you want to drag into the other window (View > Show Tab Bar) and drag the tab from one window to the other.

Here, a video will be more helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io6tZonESDE&feature=youtube_gdata

9. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Very cool, thanks for the tip. I would rather have no tabs in a single window, but I almost always have tabs, so no biggie.

10. devburke Guest

I feel the same way. Just hit cmd-shift-t to show/hide the tab bar in a single window.