Safari - Tabs & Windows Lost during Freeze & Force Power Down

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RedDiamond, Jan 25, 2012.

1. RedDiamond, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

RedDiamond macrumors newbie

Where is the data located of previous tabs and windows from a previous Safari session - during a New Safari session - but PRIOR to slecting "Reopen All Windows from Last Session" ?

This question may be a bit confusing so I will provide the scenario that prompted this question, a few additional details, and lastly an illustration showing what I'm talking about that you can duplicate if you so choose. :)

I do a lot of research and use many windows and tabs on a regular basis - approximately 80.
    I realize now that I should use bookmarks, but starting Safari and just clicking one click -"Reopen All Windows from Last Session"- has been faster for me than daily organizing and updating bookmarks - (lesson learned).

Yesterday in Safari I had these 80 tabs opened in several windows. Later I quit Safari.
    Today I started Safari, opened a couple new tabs, then a few minutes later my 2011 MacBook Pro froze and became unresponsive. I had to force power down.
    Note: Safari was not "quit" in the traditional sense.
    Note: I did not select "Reopen All Windows from Last Session" before my computer froze.

The LastSession.plist file will contain the links for the previous session After you select "quit" in Safari. When you start a new Safari session, then open a few new tabs, but do not select "Reopen All Windows from Last Session" the LastSession.plist will only have the newly opened tabs. Then when you "Reopen All Windows from Last Session" the old previous tabs are opened - so where does the computer get this data from?

It's not possible for me to realistically find the tabs in my history as this work has been done over months and they would be buried in many thousand other links in my history file.

I have not rebooted my computer since the force power down and have it currently in target disk mode connected to my iMac.

If you can help with this you really will be a Master - because both the genius bar person and the engineer on the phone at apple didn't know!

Just in case my description hasn't been clear, I'll now provide an illustration you can do yourself to see what I'm talking about:

Open Safari - Go to apple.com and open about 10 tabs all from apple.com domain.... Then Quit.
    Open the ~/library/safari/LastSession.plist file in TextEdit and you will see those links.
    Now open Safari. Go to any website - like tvguide.com ... open about 10 tabs all from that domain. Do NOT quit Safari.
    Open the ~/library/safari/LastSession.plist file in TextEdit and you will see those links from tvguide.com and NONE of the tabs from apple.com.
    Now select "Reopen All Windows from Last Session" in the History menu of Safari and all your tabs from apple.com will show up.
    Only now, After having clicked "Reopen All Windows from Last Session" will the LastSession.plist file show the apple.com/... tabs.
    So the question is - where is that data saved (all those apple.com/... tabs) which Safari gets it from, before selecting "Reopen All Windows from Last Session" ??

By determining this hopefully I will save the months of research work I had in those tabs.

Thank you.

OS Version 10.6.8
    Time Machine Backup not available
    Safari Version 5.1.1

2. RedDiamond thread starter macrumors newbie

Have kept the computer powered down for three days now in hopes one of you can help out :)