Safari Tabs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dazlicous, Sep 20, 2013.

1. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Is there away to get Safari to remember your open tabs when you press the red button and later on reopen Safari

2. philden macrumors newbie

History --> Reopen last closed window

should do this.

3. dazlicous thread starter macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

yeah that works but is there a way for Safari to do it automatically

4. ZeroBeat macrumors newbie

Only thing I can think of in the Safari Preferences -> General -> Safari Opens with "All Windows from prev session" *shrugs*

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

When you press the red button you are not closing Safari, so there is nothing to "reopen", because the application is already open.

All you are doing by pressing the close button is closing the window. Safari will quite happily run without any windows open, if it is finishing off a download etc.

The good news is that if you actually close Safari, using one of the methods below, then your entire browsing session will be restored when reopening Safari. That includes all open windows, not just the foremost one. And that applies between multiple restarts of your machine. All pretty nifty I think.

1. File > Quit
    2. Command + Q (keyboard shortcut)
    3. Long tap/double tap on the dock icon. The choose quit.

If you have Close windows when quitting an application checked in the General panel of System Preferences then this (obviously) won't work. So make sure that option is unchecked if it isn't already.

I am not aware of any other browser on any other platform that can perform complete state restoration like Safari on OS X. I am not aware of any other browser on any other platform that can perform complete state restoration like Safari on OS X. Chrome on Windows nearly gets it right, but it only restores the last active Window from your session. So to bring back other tabs you have to remember to do it manually from the recently closed menu.