Safari Tabs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slunky, Sep 25, 2007.

1. slunky macrumors newbie

Is there some way to get Safari to open tabs in the same window? I don't see anything in preferences

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

3. maberga29 macrumors member

Do you have the Beta (Safari 3 Beta)? And are you asking how you make it so clicking on links by default opens a new tab? or just how you open a new tab?

4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

holding down the :apple: key while clicking some link opens it in a new tab in the same window for me.

5. maberga29 macrumors member

Also, you should be able to make it the default through preferences.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

At the bottom of the image

Attached Files:

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That only works for other applications.

What we'd like to see is a way to tell Safari to take links that would normally open in a new window (like the forum spy) and have them open in tabs instead through a preference setting rather than command-click...

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, so I'm confused about the original question....

1) Just to make sure, you're not asking if Safari has tabs at all, are you? You laugh, but people have actually started numerous threads asking why Apple makes a crappy browser that doesn't even have tabbed browsing. :eek: Obviously, it does, and you can configure the basics of how they behave from the Tabs pane of preferences.

2) If you want windows that normally open as new windows to open in tabs instead, Safaristand does this. It's free, there are versions for both Safari 2 and Safari 3, and it works very nicely. In the first preference pane, on the lower right side, there is a checkbox that says "open _blank..." see the picture:

[​IMG]

SAFT also does this.

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

mkrisknan, wow...I'm one of those people who thought Safari wasn't so great cause it didn't have tabbing options. I learned something new today!

10. slunky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for everyones input. I couldn't figure out if there was a way to get Safari to work the tabs opening in the same window like Firefox does. I saw something in preferences about control clicking, but why the hell should you have to do that. I'll give Safaristand a try, Thanx again