Safari Tabs??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zeeklancer, Apr 12, 2009.

1. zeeklancer macrumors regular

So, I have been using Safari for a while now, I like it for the most part but one thing that bugs me is how the tabs work.

I open alot of tabs, which works good, but when I select a tab and close it it goes to the tab to the left. When I close a tab I would like to go be viewing the last selected tab. Eg, if I am on tab one, and open a new tab to view something, then close that new tab, and it happens to be tab 10, I want my view to be tap 1 again. Right now it goes to tab 9 if I close tab 10 :(

Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

-Zeek

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. epyfa macrumors regular

I don't think it's a bug. AFAIK Safari does that.

I have too many Plugins installed so I can't tell which one it is but I think it's Saft which makes me go back to the last viewed Tab when I close one.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

function deficiency is bug, its been used this way in most software developing environment.

safari doesn't do that if you are suggesting a plugin.

btw, is saft free yet?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So because my Mac can't natively play most Windows games, that's a bug.

Yeah. Complaining to Apple about what other companies refuse to do won't work.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is nothing wrong to call that a bug, a BIG BUG. We filed bug to mozilla for lack of functions all the time, they dont always related to a flawed function. So is webkit if you care to search their bug database.

and how exactly did you reach the conclusion that lack of games on mac is same as safari refuse to show previously viewed tab? which other company refuses to let safari do it?

7. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

I think it could be called a bug. I was hoping that Safari already supported the feature via hidden option.

But for me, it slows my work flow down. Last viewed tab option when closing a tab seems reasonable. It really does not make any sense that I would want to view a tab that is 2 hours old vs the one I just viewed and loaded less than 30 seconds ago.

Maybe it is a flaw in the way I use the browser. I am not really in to using the back and forward. If I am on a chat site and somebody post a image, or a link to some other site, I like to open it in a new tab. Sometimes it is to something I want to read, but want to first reading what linked to the site first. Other times it is crap. So I get a bunch of tabs open and when I open a new one and then close it because it is something stupid I don't want to have to hunt down what tab I was on last before that tab was opened.

In any case, I would be surprised if apple did not have a way to file a bug report for a feature request. I know at the software company I code for we have them all the time.

BTW, a bug is anything a user deems broken, but just because it is a bug does not require the software developer to fix it. Alot of times bugs go unfixed because it only affects one person / customer. Sometimes the customer is wrong, and it is not a bug, and support can give a workaround to avoid the issue, by using the software more correctly.

So, if anybody has any ideas on how I can use the browser better so I can avoid hunting for the tab I want let me know :)

-Zeek

8. Jonathan_W macrumors member

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

That's one of the biggest irritations I have with Safari as well. Firefox will go to the previously active tab.

I wish they'd make it an option in Safari 4 when it becomes official.

10. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Glims does what is needed and makes Safari my fave browser again!

-Zeek