Safari takes up WAY too much memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BJB Productions, Dec 1, 2009.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if there was any fix to this, or if anyone else has had this problem...

I'm running Snow Leopard, and Safari 4, of course. But Safari takes up about 3/4s (if not more) of my memory ALL THE TIME. Even when I just have one page open..It really slows down my computer...any fix to this?..anyone else experienced the same problem?

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

The problem is that you are running Snow Leopard on 2 gig of ram. Snow Leopard alone will take up most of that and Safari is a memory hog. Your best bet would be to quit Safari entirely from time to time so that it will deallocate the memory and clear the caches. A fresh instance of Safari will use much less ram than one that has been open for a few days.

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Thank you for the help. I would like to upgrade ram sometime, but don't have the budget for it at the moment. I try to quit safari when I remember. I like safari because it seams to surf faster than Firefox, but I can't stand how much memory it hogs.

4. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

You wouldn't see any improvement with Firefox anyway it is known for its issues with ram consumption.

5. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I have Firefox 3.3.5 and Safari 4 installed on both my Macs (running SL).

Safari 4 does seem to use more memory on average than FFX does, at least in my experience. (probably a tradeoff for it's fast performance).

To tell the truth, I've been very happy w/ FFX 3.3.5 and it runs beautifully on Snow Leopard. The customization is excellent (ie. Weave, Personas, Gears compatibility, etc.). It's my primary browser, Safari gets used only as a backup.

6. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I've only seen the opposite on my mac with Safari going over 1GB often while Firefox never goes past 500MB (it's now at 150 MB with 6 tabs).

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Thats been my experience...But I like Safari's layout better.

8. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

9. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

You are right, FireFox's memory management has been improved. I personally use FF as my primary browser on OS X and Chrome on Windows. Although RAM really isn't an issue when I have 16 gb.

10. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Wow, 16gb...dang...

11. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

That is nothing, you should hang out in the Mac Pro forum.

12. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Ohh yeah.. 32...64gb :D

13. nbnbxdnb macrumors regular

I had my safari take up to 1G ram on snow leopard too. With 4G I still feel the pressure of running out ram. It is really horrible.

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You want something that eats up memory as bad as Safari? Use Chrome.

15. celticpride678

I'm afraid that's true. Chrome used to take up barely any RAM but it takes up way too much now.

Google needs to get their game together.

16. nbnbxdnb macrumors regular

But I still love safari for its speed and graphic design. Hope somebody can figure out what the hell turns it into a hog. Currently, I turned off adblock extension and have activity monitor open constantly. Safari has been using quite reasonable amount of memory for about 1 hour so far. I have multiple pages open, hulu paused in back... I don't know if this somehow proves adblock eats up memory somehow.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Eh, maybe its just because I have 4GB of RAM unlike the OP so multitasking is still fast for me?

18. addicted44 macrumors 6502a

Well, thats true, but also untrue at the same time.

Chrome launches several instances of itself for each page, so while each instance of Chrome takes little memory, put together they take up as much as Safari.

OTOH, for the same reason, when you close a page in Chrome, it deallocates that memory entirely. This is not true of Safari. My biggest issue with Safari is that I might close all windows after running safari for a few days, but it will still be hogging close to 2-3 GB of ram, since its not good at deallocating that memory.

19. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Apps will expand to fill up free memory a fair bit. For example, two Macs of mine, both with Leopard, usually run at 75% of RAM being used. One has 512MB, one has 2GB.