Safari taking ages to load pages

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grandM, Aug 3, 2014.

1. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Hi there

It may seem a stupid question but sometimes Safari takes ages to load a page. The blue indicator seems to hold up at 1 third or half way. Sometimes it continues sometimes it doesn't.

This problem occurs with some url's, not all. As this also seems to happen with some major sites (like the national news site of my country) I wonder why this happens. Even more I'd like to know if I can do anything to make this problem go away.

Thanks !

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The internet is a very long chain of responsibilities and working out where the bottleneck is is often pretty difficult. If it is some sites and not others that are affected I'd guess it's a site / local network issue. Most ISPs have a 'network status' page that you can check to see if there are problems. If one site is often slow, let them know - they may need to give their web server more resource.

It's usually not anything to do with Safari but you can try restarting it (it can suck up a lot of memory over time if you leave it open continuously). Or try Chrome or Firefox and see if that makes a difference - if it does then yes, it's a Safari issue... but why is more complex.