Safari Taking You To A Point Down A Page

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kolax, Dec 18, 2011.

1. kolax macrumors G3

This has been a bug for a while, although I've never been sure how to word it to report it to Apple.

Basically, say you click on a forum thread here, it'll load with the focus at the top of the page, then once the page has loaded, it'll automatically take you down to the last post. Some versions ago of Safari, if you started scrolling, this automatic scroll to the last post would be cancelled.

Now, when the page is still loading, I'll start scrolling from the top reading posts there. Safari will then take me to the last post, while the page is still loading, and I have to scroll back up to where I was. Then, when the page has finally loaded, it'll take me back to the past bloody post again.

This is a major pain when browsing things like Post Your Mac Setup with lots of photos to load.

Though, even more annoying, is that when a page is loading and for some reason the default focus is the top of a page (why is it even set there in the first place...), and I start scrolling before the webpage has finished loading, when the page has finished loading it takes me back to the top of the page!

I think I've explained it well enough, please let me know if this affects you too.

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you use Forum Spy?
    If so, clicking on a thread will bring you to the exact post, though due to slow loading, it can take a while and you scroll around and upon completion of the loading process, you get jumped to that post.
    That's the same I experience.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah that's it. It happens on other websites too.

Safari never used to do that - if you started scrolling, then it would no longer jump you to wherever on that page when the page has finished loading.

4. simsaladimbamba

I have Safari 5.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I may remember that not happening before, now that you bring it up.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Safari is continuously resizing the page in the browser to accommodate its contents while loading. This is also evident in the changing size and position of the scroll bar(s) while loading. That process also results in changes in what is considered the top of the page. The best solution is to let the page fully load before expecting your scrolling position to be accurate.

6. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah, was quite a few versions ago. I've just tolerated it until now.

Never used to do that after you scrolled, it cancelled that operation of jumping you to wherever.