Safari tearing on certain web pages? (rMPB)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twodollars, Aug 5, 2012.

1. twodollars macrumors member

I have been noticing issues with a little bit of screen tearing while using my rMPB. It is only while web browsing, on both Chrome and Safari, and only seems to be on certain websites. Has anyone else experience this or should I be concerned?

Base rMPB running Mountain Lion.

2. PS65 macrumors 6502

3. shthap3ns macrumors newbie

Yeah, I also get weird issues with Safari. The most annoying of it happens when I'm typing into a textarea/input box in a form. Especially in GMail. It's kinda hard to explain, but sometimes characters don't appear graphically (they are actually there) when I type, and I need to scroll up and down to make it appear.

4. cruggles macrumors regular

Yes - only once, and on the Apple Store website of all things.

Retina MB with ML and Safari.

5. stuaz macrumors 6502

I have noticed a vertical line sometimes down the webpage (Its not my screen). but I kinda put it down to bad web programming?

6. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

It happens when using drop down boxes on certain websites. If I scroll over one drop box and then move to the next, the firs one will still half be there or sort of glitch out. Also has been happening when typing text and then deleting characters but black lines appear where the characters were, that has happened on this site...

7. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Well, a reset of the PRAM has appeared to resolve the issue. Interesting.

8. swamyg1 macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, what are your hardware specs? Do you have the base model?

9. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

10. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Its also happening on my 2011 MBP. Possible Safari 6 issue. Or my graphics card may be going bust. Again.

11. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

My mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro is also experiencing all sorts of Safari weirdness on Mountain Lion including tearing, delays when typing. ML is really a piece of work.

13. andyriot macrumors member

Same. Mid-2010 15" MBP lots of weird Safari 6 issues involving what I assume to be tearing, and the text input issue as well.

14. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I got my RMBP bug free with Lion. As soon as I upgraded to Mountain Lion, the bugs came soaring in. Issues with Safari, yes, and other things. A fresh install might fix it but I'm exchanging it anyway (yellow tint).

15. xackexxo macrumors newbie

Mine's been doing the same. PRAM reset only fixed it for so long. The only permanent fix is to turn off the auto graphics switching in System Preferences.

Also, selecting any of the Slideshow screensavers seems to exasperate the issue.

Mine isn't the base model, it's a 2.6/16/512 rMBP.

At this point i'm not sure if it's 100% sure if it's a software or a hardware problem.

16. andyriot macrumors member

I'm thinking it must be a software issue because of older MBP's suddenly experiencing the same issue. As said above, my Mid-2010 has the same behavior explained here.

Hope that something gets addressed soon because it is bugging me more and more each day. I like Safari and how well its integrated, which keeps me away from Chrome etc -- but these bugs are pushing me away right now!

17. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

At one time I experience screen tearing after using Air Mirror and forcing the graphics card to use HD4000. But mine is mid 2012 C Macbook Pro

18. xackexxo macrumors newbie

It's a few websites but I agree, it's very annoying.

19. andyriot macrumors member

I havent used Chrome long enough to experience it so I was thinking (hoping?) it was tied to Safari but perhaps more of a general graphics issue.

I have turned off automatic graphics switching now as instructed above and will see if I continue to get the bugs.

20. qijianjonathan, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

qijianjonathan macrumors member

21. leman macrumors 604

Safari is just buggy. At least it does not crash all the time now, as it used to - now it crashes only once/twice a day for me, which is tolerable.

22. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Same/same. Typing in things will just disappear, yet they are being typed (odd explanation, I know). Then the screen will cut halfway and stay that way.

23. HVDynamo macrumors regular

I just got a new Macbook Pro (mid 2012 2.6Ghz 15" with non-retina with upgraded screen) and I am experiencing the same issues with safari. So far I have only noticed it on reddit (using res) and Facebook. Usually restarting safari fixes it for a little while, but it always starts happening again. I really like how well safari is integrated into the OS and would like to keep using it, but this is making that more cumbersome. I hope they fix it soon.

24. cire1244 macrumors regular

This happens to me too, though I don't think it's bad web programming, because Firefox or Chrome never have those issues on those sites. I chalk it up to Safari / Mountain Lion being glitchy. Never had these problems with Snow Leopard.

25. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL