Safari: the memory hog!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benlee, Apr 18, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

why is safari hogging so much of my memory? I have this page open and that is it and activity monitor shows me using 146.50 mb or real memory. whats the deal with that? Is there anything i can do?

ummm, only thing I can think of is empty your cache on safari and your page history, saved pages etc that way it should run faster. That might help with memory. I know that firefox is also a memory pig. It helped when i got rid of any extra toolbars and emptied the cache, temporary files, history, etc, which you can do in your preferences

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Quit the browser
    Reopen the browser

Works with all browsers. :)
    No need to empty caches, cookies, etc.

Browsers nowadays cache recently viewed pages (in case you go back to them), there's where the memory eating occurs.

4. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I dont understand posts like these, whats the point of having a gig of memory if you dont want to use it? Unused memory is a waste. All the complaints that programs are memory hogs are totally pointless, as you have more then enough memory to run Safari, and a large number of other applications without a problem.

5. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

actually almost all my memory was being used. and all i had open was itunes, safari, and transmission. In fact, i did quit out of safari and reopen it and it used a quarter of the memory. i was just a bit concerned when i only had like 12 mb available when it is never like that. I dont see how it is pointless....one page of safari should not use 125 mb of ram thats all. Thats like saying "whats the point of having a 120 GB harddrive if you dont have all but 1 GB used?" I see your point but....i was concerned because of all the memory safari was using that it shouldnt have been

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As others have hinted at, this is actually a "feature" of Safari. Safari does extensive caching of previously-visted pages to help you load them faster when you go back to them.

As a side note, be aware that "inactive" RAM is the same as free RAM for all intents and purposes.

And the number one rule: OS X actually does a very good job of memory management...it's almost always best to just let it do its own thing.

7. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

Thanks, I was wondering about the whole inactive vs. free thing. Yeah, the caching "feature" seems to make sense because i noticed the longer i have it open the more memory it seems to use. Thanks again

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin