Safari Tilt to scroll in iOS 8?

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
England
Just lying in bed using my RMini thinking Apple should integrate "tilt to scroll" in Safari in iOS 8. Would anyone else like to see it? Works so well for Instpaper, it would be great to see it put to better use. Maybe in iBooks too.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Seems like a gimmicky feature. I would like to see something from apple like smart stay or smart scroll, like o android, even though they are gimmicky. Titlt to scroll would be cool though

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
England
Seems like a gimmicky feature. I would like to see something from apple like smart stay or smart scroll, like o android, even though they are gimmicky. Titlt to scroll would be cool though
I mean just using the accelerometer to scroll through a web page by tilting gently. It's actually more practical than gimmicky...plus it means you can use the device very easily one handed if reading long articles.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I mean just using the accelerometer to scroll through a web page by tilting gently. It's actually more practical than gimmicky...plus it means you can use the device very easily one handed if reading long articles.
Assuming you hold things steady and specifically move for scrolling purposes. I wonder how many people's hands move about a bit this way or that way as they do things on their phone and/or as they use the phone while they are doing other things, and if something like this might get in the way as far as things happening unexpectedly. It's an interesting option, and would be nice to have as an option, but hard to say if Apple would go for something like that if it might cause more "average/typical" users more potential headaches than usefulness.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

If you can touch the screen with a finger to keep it from dimming then you can scroll with a finger too.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Assuming you hold things steady and specifically move for scrolling purposes. I wonder how many people's hands move about a bit this way or that way as they do things on their phone and/or as they use the phone while they are doing other things, and if something like this might get in the way as far as things happening unexpectedly. It's an interesting option, and would be nice to have as an option, but hard to say if Apple would go for something like that if it might cause more "average/typical" users more potential headaches than usefulness.
Off by default - job done :p

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
It is a garbage feature.

Think about it. You are reading a webpage. Something comes up, you put down your phone. You pick it up again and you are nowhere near where you originally were because of the tilting.

It would be more trouble than what it is worth having to turn it off/on whenever you "felt" like using it.

Gimmick for gimmicks sake.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Im not sure if this would work. That would mean you have to keep the ipad at a certain angle to read a section of safari. If youre tilted a little too much it would start scrolling. The would have to incorporate somekind of lock feature to stop that from happening, but that just seems like more work than scrolling with fingers.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Just lying in bed using my RMini thinking Apple should integrate "tilt to scroll" in Safari in iOS 8. Would anyone else like to see it? Works so well for Instpaper, it would be great to see it put to better use. Maybe in iBooks too.
I'd have it permanently turned off. Scrolling with my thumb is way easier they shifting my device in my hand imo.

Would be a nice feature to have in accessibilities for some I suppose.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If it can track your eyes and scroll down when you get close to the bottom, that might be useful.
Samsung Galaxy phones actually have some useful stuff. Smart stay (screen stays on when you're looking at it) was very useful. I've never used smart scroll, but if it works well, and I've no reason to doubt it will, then that too would be useful.

Not sure why Apple doesn't get similar things implemented. Smart stay at least is great. Not having to continually tap the screen when you're reading is a godsend.

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
England
I dont see it as gimmicky. If Apple implemented it to ignore accidental movements,,,such as putting the device down quickly, then it could be useful.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
I dont see it as gimmicky. If Apple implemented it to ignore accidental movements...
Wouldn't that require the phone to judge user intent? How would that be possible? Similar features on last year's Samsung S4, such as pausing movies when you look away, were routinely panned.

Here's a feature I think would be much more useful than tilt to scroll--add a body temperature sensor. With such a sensor, the phone could go to sleep to conserve battery if the user dies. /s

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I'd rather have a few more customizable hardware buttons on the sides of my phone that I could make do what I want. Back in the old days of Windows Mobile, I LOVED customizable hardware buttons. They were especially awesome for doing music stuff at night while driving - I never had to take my eyes off the road.

I predict that one day the return of hardware buttons will be heralded as "revolutionary."

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
England
Wouldn't that require the phone to judge user intent? How would that be possible? Similar features on last year's Samsung S4, such as pausing movies when you look away, were routinely panned.

Here's a feature I think would be much more useful than tilt to scroll--add a body temperature sensor. With such a sensor, the phone could go to sleep to conserve battery if the user dies. /s
witty