Safari Tilt to scroll in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Defender2010, May 7, 2014.

1. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Just lying in bed using my RMini thinking Apple should integrate "tilt to scroll" in Safari in iOS 8. Would anyone else like to see it? Works so well for Instpaper, it would be great to see it put to better use. Maybe in iBooks too.

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Seems like a gimmicky feature. I would like to see something from apple like smart stay or smart scroll, like o android, even though they are gimmicky. Titlt to scroll would be cool though

3. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I mean just using the accelerometer to scroll through a web page by tilting gently. It's actually more practical than gimmicky...plus it means you can use the device very easily one handed if reading long articles.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Assuming you hold things steady and specifically move for scrolling purposes. I wonder how many people's hands move about a bit this way or that way as they do things on their phone and/or as they use the phone while they are doing other things, and if something like this might get in the way as far as things happening unexpectedly. It's an interesting option, and would be nice to have as an option, but hard to say if Apple would go for something like that if it might cause more "average/typical" users more potential headaches than usefulness.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If you can touch the screen with a finger to keep it from dimming then you can scroll with a finger too.

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

7. matttye macrumors 601

Off by default - job done :p

8. laudern macrumors 6502a

It is a garbage feature.

Think about it. You are reading a webpage. Something comes up, you put down your phone. You pick it up again and you are nowhere near where you originally were because of the tilting.

It would be more trouble than what it is worth having to turn it off/on whenever you "felt" like using it.

Gimmick for gimmicks sake.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, except that Apple doesn't really do settings/options in that way for the most part.

10. chabig macrumors 68040

11. white4s macrumors 65816

you buy a touchscreen phone to touch it

let's not become shamesung

12. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

13. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im not sure if this would work. That would mean you have to keep the ipad at a certain angle to read a section of safari. If youre tilted a little too much it would start scrolling. The would have to incorporate somekind of lock feature to stop that from happening, but that just seems like more work than scrolling with fingers.

14. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

I'm gonna pass. That would be an utter ridiculous gimmick.

15. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I'd have it permanently turned off. Scrolling with my thumb is way easier they shifting my device in my hand imo.

Would be a nice feature to have in accessibilities for some I suppose.

16. matttye macrumors 601

There's a number of accessibility options and this could be one of them. For people who struggle to move their thumbs, you need only tilt the screen to scroll.

17. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

If it can track your eyes and scroll down when you get close to the bottom, that might be useful.

18. matttye macrumors 601

Samsung Galaxy phones actually have some useful stuff. Smart stay (screen stays on when you're looking at it) was very useful. I've never used smart scroll, but if it works well, and I've no reason to doubt it will, then that too would be useful.

Not sure why Apple doesn't get similar things implemented. Smart stay at least is great. Not having to continually tap the screen when you're reading is a godsend.

19. steve342 macrumors newbie

I think that would get annoying quickly. Far too gimmicky.

20. chabig macrumors 68040

I bet your eyes don't always stare at the screen that way.

21. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I dont see it as gimmicky. If Apple implemented it to ignore accidental movements,,,such as putting the device down quickly, then it could be useful.

22. chabig macrumors 68040

Wouldn't that require the phone to judge user intent? How would that be possible? Similar features on last year's Samsung S4, such as pausing movies when you look away, were routinely panned.

Here's a feature I think would be much more useful than tilt to scroll--add a body temperature sensor. With such a sensor, the phone could go to sleep to conserve battery if the user dies. /s

23. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I'd rather have a few more customizable hardware buttons on the sides of my phone that I could make do what I want. Back in the old days of Windows Mobile, I LOVED customizable hardware buttons. They were especially awesome for doing music stuff at night while driving - I never had to take my eyes off the road.

I predict that one day the return of hardware buttons will be heralded as "revolutionary."

24. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

witty