Safari to act like Internet Explorer to go on site

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Primejimbo, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

A friend needs to have Internet Explorer to use a program for work. She has a Mac and no luck there. I thought I read once on here that there are some settings to click and it will make Safari "manipulate" IE so Safari can go on sites that only works for IE. Did I read that right? I tried searching and didn't find anything.
    Thanks.

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

You can use Safari to trick sites into thinking it's IE by enabling the Develop menu (can't remember what I used to do that, but Google should help there). However, if the site in question really needs IE because it uses ActiveX controls and/or other IE proprietary non-standard bits that won't help. In that case she may really need IE for real.

3. redking31591 macrumors 6502

the develop menu is enable in the safari preferences and then under advanced there is check box to enable it. be aware though that this does not enable some kind of ie's trident engine, it is just a trick. most websites will not render correctly.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It won't work. Whatever site or enterprise suite your friend uses almost certainly requires ActiveX.