Safari: Undo Close Tab

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Signal-11, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I've been playing with Safari a lot recently and the thing that's killing me is that I can't undo closed tabs.

I've googled and searched several forums. Command-Z's not working for me. Anyone know why? Also, installed ForgetMeNot. Not working either. What am I missing here? (SMBL's installed)

Thanks.

2. jcs1088 macrumors regular

3. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

4. kaz219 macrumors member

Same here. Don't know why. I have keywurl, safaristand, inquisitor and safari adblock installed. I suspect one of them is the problem. What do you have installed?

Greetings,

5. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Don't know of any solution for 3.1.
    However, you can always go into your history and re-open the page you were looking at. Tedious, I know.

6. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Nah, because that tab you just closed might have been opened a long time ago. I might have opened a tab two days ago and kept it open for reference. I don't want to go all the way back and look for the page again.

And kaz, I have no plugins for Safari installed. I'm running bare, except for a failed experiment with Forgetmenot.

The lack of an undo close tab is the primary reason keeping me from moving to Safari as a primary browser.

7. ryansebiz macrumors member

ryansebiz

Ditto. I really want to like Safari, but this is a deal breaker.

8. freesonwang macrumors member

I agree! How is undo close tab not implemented in Safari?

Anyway, Glims has this along with keyword search (URL: "g kitties" searches Google for kitties), changing default search engine, favicons on tabs, Google Preview images on searches, and more. Highly recommended!

As a note, unlike Firefox, the undo close tab does not remember the tab history of the closed tab (nor scroll position). It only remembers the last link. But it's still good enough for me.

9. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

10. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Wow. Thread necro. I posted this question well over a year ago and still no default undo close tab in Safari 4.

BTW, Saft is incompatible with Safari 4. And good luck uninstalling it.

11. Jensen G macrumors member

Yeah, it's pretty crazy that Safari 4 still doesn't support undoing closed tabs. I submitted feedback to Apple on this (through the "report bugs" feature in the Safari menu since Safari doesn't have an official feedback webform). Hopefully Apple will add it eventually.

12. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Just go to "History" in the Menu Bar and select the webpage that was closed from there.

13. Jensen G macrumors member

That's not a viable solution if I go to a tab that I opened a while ago (and then browsed other tabs), since there's no guarantee it will still be in the history menu. It all depends on browsing behavior.

14. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Not only that, if it's a case of accidentally hitting CMD+W too many times, I don't know what page it is that I've closed.

This is a basic tab function. It should be a part of the default install and I shouldn't have to use Saft or Glims to enable it.