Safari Unresponsive For Days

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, May 13, 2008.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

As of May 11th, Safari has not been able to load up. It hangs until I force quit the program. I am running Leopard 10.5.2 on a MacBook Pro. Safari is up to date. This problem occurred on the same day that I installed Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. How could this be a problem?

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I can load Firefox, but it is a lot slower than Safari.

4. NP3 macrumors regular

does it stay up long enough to click 'reset safari' ? If not, try using onyx or Cocktail to 'reset internet apps'. Your cache might be too big, or too much history urls saved.

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Safari freezes almost instantly, so I can't reset it. I'm not sure how to use OnyX or Cocktail. Could you give me some insight? Thanks.

6. enkidu macrumors newbie

Have you tried deleting your preferences? They're probably in your home directory Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist. You could also try backing up your Library/Safari directory and seeing if you can start up. Then try restoring the items one by one. Also, deleting the cache files might help. Not completely sure where those are. Any help?

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

This may be the worlds stupidest question, but...Have you rebooted? Have you repaired disk permissions?

I know those are basic, basic things so I'm sorry if it's insulting, but you didn't actually say you did those things.

8. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I deleted the com.apple.Safari.plist. This caused Safari to make more progress, but still froze. The computer is making the loading noise, but it doesn't seem to stop until I force quit Safari. I have rebooted many times, but no luck. Thanks for the replies.

9. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

GET THIS!

I made a new login account called "Safari Test." I logged in to it and tried to open Safari. Within a flash it had loaded up and everything was fine!!! Then I logged out and logged back into my regular account and tried to open Safari. Nothing doing! Safari only works in this new account. Why is this happening? Is it possible to fix?

10. enkidu macrumors newbie

Did you try backing up your /Users/username/Library/Safari directory and starting up?

11. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

No I did not. But I did delete a file in that directory called the "com.apple.Safari.plist"

12. enkidu macrumors newbie

I would definitely back that directory up (or move it to a safe location) and try again.

13. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

This is probably really stupid, but try deleting the Safari app and reinstalling it from the Apple Website.

14. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Nope. Backed-up directory and also deleted everything Safari related and installed Safari from the website, but no luck. It just keeps loading and the computer even makes the loading noise.

15. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I was just wondering about this:

Safari works on the new account, so can I move all of my data from my account to a new account? Is it possible to make this new account the administrator account? Basically I new to start the computer up from scratch. Can I do this fairly easily?

16. Legato28 macrumors newbie

This same thing happened to me recently. I haven't tried making a new user account, but the symptoms sound the same as yours--hangs immediately upon clicking, other applications (firefox) not affected. I know it feels better when it's not just you, so I thought I'd pipe in. I haven't tried any of the remedies discussed so far, so I don't know if it actually is the same thing, but it sounds similar.