Safari Unusable After Update.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dave Braine, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Did some updates for Yosemite today: Security 2016-002, Safari 9.1, Remote Desktop Client 3.8.5 and iTunes 12.3.3.

Safari is now unusable. Constant errors trying to load websites, sites try continuously to reload and Safari Web Content keeps quitting. Tried to delete Safari and restore from TM, but, OS X won't let me Trash Safari.

I tried going into TM manually and dragging the older version of Safari out. That worked, but opening that older Safari still gave the same problem.

It works fine from another Account, so there's obviously something in my Account causing the problem.

Any suggestions as to what is wrong?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have any Safari extensions installed? Those would not be present in the new test account, so might explain it.

Also, try holding the shift key at startup to boot to safe mode in the old account. That stops any launch or startup items from running. If that fixes it, it tells us one of those items is causing the issue.

3. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

Bookmark/Safari sync via iCloud active? Btw, maybe not exactly what you want to be advised right now, but why don't you upgrade to El Capitan? It surely is an under the hood improvement like snow leopard was. So for me it changed certainly to the better.

4. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Thanks. I'll look at that.

Because I still prefer iMovie11, which has problems with El Capitan.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

So straight off it would be better to title this thread "Safari problems from one account after update" as obviously the update itself isn't the problem. As above, remove your extensions, one at a time or disable all and then you can troubleshoot which is incompatible and causing the issue.

6. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I've tried turning off all Safari Extensions to no effect and tried starting in Safe Mode. That stopped the Safari Web Content from quitting, but the only web pages that would load were Google search results. Any attempt to load any other sites resulted in a message to the effect that there was a problem connecting to the server.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If Safari Web content is quitting, you may have a problem with your home page, worst case migrate all your data to a new user account as that works fine.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you happen to have any kind of proxy or security (like AV) utilities running? This would be shut down for a safe boot and might explain the difference.

9. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No, I don't.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2016 ---
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

10. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I'd suggest hard resetting all of Safari's configuration.

The fastest way is to download App Zapper, go to Preferences and uncheck the "Keep Apple Applications Safe". Then close Safari and drag it (from the Applications folder, not dock) into the AZ window which will list the app and bunch of associated files:

[​IMG]

Be sure to uncheck the Safari app from the list and leave all plists and cache files checked, then zap it. All of the files listed can be easily regenerated by Safari without any effort on the part of the user with the exception of some settings that may need to be adjusted to suit your tastes.

Afterwards, be sure to restart. If there's an issue with cache or configuration related directly to Safari, that should do it.

11. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

12. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Bummer, I thought that'd do it.

Only other thing I can think is an external application is messing with it (especially if things like the App Store and iTunes Store are working). So, to disable everything and try it out, or migrate your account and be careful to make intervals of turning of your setup.

13. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine