Safari update on Tiger 4.11

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peewee12345, Jun 16, 2010.

1. peewee12345 macrumors member

I updated to Safari 4.1 or 4.2 ( I think 4.1 but it could be 4.2 )
    The second I restarted mac w Tiger, I had Safari WITHOUT a page, yet Safari "thought" that a page was visible.

No matter what I did to "trick" it, I could not get a page on the new system.
    Any suggestions please ? I am luckily on Firefox which happened to be in the Apps folder.
    Thanks

2. peewee12345 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a reason?

Can anyone please shed a little light, please?

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

Safari version compatibility is based on your OS, not your hardware. Safari 5 requires Leopard at the minimum. You get whatever updates your OS is supported. I would seriously consider upgrading to either Leopard or Snow Leopard unless you have a driving reason not to - your OS is really behind.

4. peewee12345 thread starter macrumors member

I own two macs, one from 6 years ago w Tiger
    and a macbook pro with latest OS- I keep away from net with the new machine. When the G4 "dies" then I will use the modern OS.

My question is about the older mac w Tiger

5. peewee12345 thread starter macrumors member

4.1 is still on the G4 w Tiger ( I own a new mac book pro that is not used online )
    I am currently using 3.0.2 safari

Is it ok to stay with 3.0.2, or is it wiser to remove 4.1 and then update 3.0.2 to 3.2?

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

How does one tell what an application is "thinking"?

Well, Safari 4.1 should work with Tiger. But, if it doesn't work with yours, try the other route. But, eventually, you'll need Safari 6 if not 5. Things on the internet will just stop working with older browsers.

7. peewee12345 thread starter macrumors member

"Thinking"? Because the prompts on the screen suggest that a Safari window is open. If I open another ( non visible ) window, I still see nothing but the desktop. When I close, I think I see the prompt about an accidental crash report... (sorry I can't recall exact words).

This whole thread is about 4.1 or 4.2 NOT working. Again, I have a 6 year old machine with Tiger. That is the computer that "suggested" I update to 4.1 ( 4.2 is possible, I cannot recall ) Safari.

When you say "the other route", what do you mean?
    And how can I expect 5 or 6 to work if 4.1 isn't?
    I think I HAD 4.1 previously, and the update was 4.2; the one that failed.

Does anyone have any ideas for a solution? I am presently on 3.0.4 now; which I was able to get From Firefox. I got the idea I could update 3.0.4 to 3.2. But 3.2 will not work!!!!

Thank you

8. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Go back to where I said "the other route" and read what I quoted from your earlier post in which you proposed two options. ... the other one

I expect 3.0.4 and 4.1 and eventually 5 to NOT work because the internet is constantly changing. Eventually, the hardware will not run the newer versions, and when the older versions won't perform, you need new hardware so you can run the newer one. Depending on your timing, you may never have the right hardware to run 5, so you'll have to go to 6. I never meant to imply that future versions will run on your current system. It might not be worth the frustrations trying to get that old hardware to perform, as it might just not be capable.