Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kretek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Is there anyway to open a url in a new tab with one click, instead of using right click.

Previously used the extension Linkthing, but that's no longer available on the App Store, and cannot side loaded
loaded with latest version of Safari.

Any suggestions/help would do.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Is there anyway to open a url in a new tab with one click, instead of using right click.

Previously used the extension Linkthing, but that's no longer available on the App Store, and cannot side loaded
loaded with latest version of Safari.

Any suggestions/help would do.
Command+click will open most links in a new tab.

Shift+Command+Click will open a link in a new tab and make that tab the active tab.

There is the odd link that won't work this way but I think that is down to how the page was designed.

For more useful Safari keyboard shortcuts: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/keyboard-and-other-shortcuts-cpsh003/mac

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Command+click will open most links in a new tab.

Shift+Command+Click will open a link in a new tab and make that tab the active tab.
Not on my MBP.
Command+click will open links in a new tab and make that Tab the active Tab.
Shift+Command+Click will open a link in a new tab and NOT make that tab the active tab.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Not on my MBP.
Command+click will open links in a new tab and make that Tab the active Tab.
Shift+Command+Click will open a link in a new tab and NOT make that tab the active tab.
There is a Safari Setting to change it back:

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 3.03.39 PM.png

kretek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Thanks for all the replies.

As I said, I was looking for a one click solution, without also using the keyboard, such as a script or terminal command

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.