Safari use 80-90MB real Ram is that normal?

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
when i just opened it up there is only 20-30Mb, after a while, it went to around 50-60MB at least, sometimes 70-80MB, is that normal?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Have you got lots of tabs open? Are they running complicated Java/Flash processes? How much real memory do you have installed? :)

80MB can be normal for Safari, in some circumstances.

Comment

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
mad jew said:
Have you got lots of tabs open? Are they running complicated Java/Flash processes? How much real memory do you have installed? :)

80MB can be normal for Safari, in some circumstances.
the time i saw 100Mb when i have got 6 -7 tabs open, currently i have got 3 tabs open(cnet,apple,mac forum), and the real ram i can see from active monitor is 84.13MB.
Powerbook 1.5G 768MB RAM Combo

Comment

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Have you deleted the cache like iGary said?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you're getting beach balls. OSX's RAM management system is pretty sophisticated and confusing, but it works. It's just that it usually says it's using seemingly high chunks of it.

Comment

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
mad jew said:
Have you deleted the cache like iGary said?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you're getting beach balls. OSX's RAM management system is pretty sophisticated and confusing, but it works. It's just that it usually says it's using seemingly high chunks of it.
thx , i have cleared the cache as igary told me, and with only 1 tab open, the ram seems to stay about 30-40Mb, and so far i have not seen any beachball at all, so i suppose it is a sign of OK
:p
cheers

Comment