Safari users, what prevents you from using Opera?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Jun 25, 2007.

?

you didn't use opera because

1. didn't want to download a new browser since OSX already has safari pre-installed

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. tried, but give up, have problems with appearance

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  3. tried, but give up, have problems with features

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. other problems, such as...

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im opening two posts, related to opera and firefox, Im proposing these two posts for safari users, no matter they tried opera/firefox or not. I want to know what are the problem they have with these two browsers that prevent the from using these two browsers.

I welcome firefox/opera users to solve the problems safari users have (if its solve-able), and I will be happy to deliver problems that can't be solved to mozillazine/bugzilla and opera forums.

If you just hate the idea of NOT using an Apple product, then plz just pass this post.

If you just want to debate firefox/opera/safari is better, then please pass this post.

If you feel like you will not be able to admit the basic fact when they are stated, then please pass this post.

Thanks

My hope is to convince safari users to try firefox and opera for a bit longer than they usually do.

I will first state the advantages of opera:
    1. its fast
    2. It has alot of features out of box, like mouse gesture
    3. Has theme function build-in
    4. mail client build-in
    5. BiTorrent client build-in
    6, separated from OS, so less risky (relative, not saying safari is too deeply connect to the core)
    7. cross all 3 major OSes, same experience

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

my only gripe with opera is appearance. my only grip with firefox is appearance. and unmentioned above, my only gripe with camino is lack of firefox extensions.

i go through little phases where i use each for about 2 weeks, but i always find myself going back to safari.

my perfect browser would be to throw the above three apps in a blender to get:
    the speed and reliability of opera.
    the extensibility of firefox.
    the look and feel of camino.

safari 3 is the closest thing to my perfect browser.

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

when u say appearance, did u mean the theme of the browser? or how the buttons, forms, drop down menus look like?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What I have to say about Opera is decidedly less kind. I guess maybe I'm too set in my ways, having started using the web on Mosaic, but there's not a single thing about Opera I find intuitive or pleasant. To me, it's a pain-in-the-ass mish-mash of oddly placed buttons, quirks, and annoying menus and prompts. I've downloaded and tried it at a number of different times in its development life, and I've just never found it to have any redeeming qualities.

5. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

since version 8.0, opera cleaned up its UI alot. it is not difficult to re-arrange the icon on opera, and I do see they are trying to make it more similar to firefox, or safari. It still has tab bar on top and alot of confusing icons tho. I guess there is not much I can do other than hope opera team re-arrange their icons and simplified the UI such that users will feel at home right from start.

the main selling points of opera is its speed, CSS compatibility (opera has 70% of CSS committee's positions) and rich features by default (like mouse gestures).

6. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

No spellcheck (or at least none that I could get working properly).

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I like having all my bookmarks at the top of my browser.

Opera seemed to only have this Drawer thing that popped out of the left hand side...not nice...

However, a torrent downloader built in....now that's pretty cool..but that's it..

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agreed. i've tried it. a few times. and never could get used to opera's interface and such. its too cluttered and rather unintuitive imo. that said, i don't use Safari or Firefox either. i use Camino.

9. Gaelic1 macrumors member

Why wouls I want to use either of these browsers if I have no problem with Safari? I do have Firefox installed but rarely use it since Safari has filled my needs nicely.

10. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

u just need to enable "personal bar" through view->toolbars->customize..

its not inline check like firefox 2, but it does have the function(you have to right click the input and choose "spell check"), I hope they will have inline check when 9.5 out.

opera: speed, feature rich, support standard better
    firefox: extensions, themes, more website compatibility.

but yeah, if after u try opera/firefox, and still like safari, thats fine, just let us know what you don't like about firefox/opera. (opera in this post :) )

Attached Files:

11. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have never used Opera before. I'm primarily a Firefox user, and that's only because of the pure awesomeness that is Greasemonkey (and several other extensions that make my life easier) - if it wasn't for that I'd use Safari.

By posting this poll you have succeeded in getting me interested in trying Opera out, since I've tried many different Mac web browsers (IE, Safari, Shiira, SunriseBrowser, Firefox, and OmniWeb) and would love to try more.

13. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

you are most welcome. opera is a nice browser, and has more features out of box than any other browsers.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is Opera a Cocoa application?

15. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

It is not, at least for now.

16. tempques macrumors member

Opera is not my primary web browser, but I've read many reports of Mac users preferring this skin to help it look more OS X native. Those of you trying out Opera and not liking its default skin might give it a look.

17. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

it's not something i could put my finger on. i just feel very claustrophobic when using opera.

similarly... i like it for the same reasons i like azereus for bitorrent. it's very feature complete and does everything it's supposed to do VERY WELL. but i don't like it for the same reasons. it's just very clunky. i don't feel "at home" in it. i use safari for the same reason i use transmission. very smooth and very simple.

silly i know. it's a shame, because i know how good of a browser it is, but i still can't get past it's non-aqua widgets and poor UI.

18. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

hehe, thats fine, how to make their products "home-feeling" is what they need to figure out, can't demand users for too much anyway, thanks for the feedback.

19. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

@ clevin...

i like your zeal towards opera and firefox. they're good browsers.. but can i beg the question...

why? lol

20. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i just want to make sure OSX users fully aware their options when picking browsers.

Im not gonna attack safari, since it is a very fine browser, I just feel sorry coz many users tried opera/firefox for too short period of time (or didn't try at all) such that they might potentially mis-understand, and such that they missed, a great browser which might actually fit them better.

I also want to add, for the problems that are not related to simple misunderstanding, I would like opera/firefox developers pay attention to them, and taking care of OSX users.

21. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Like I said earlier, the bit torrent features are really innovative and it really seemed like my internet speed wasn't taxed nearly as much while downloading my torrents and surfing MR

so...it's got that going for it :)

22. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Well, I see what you mean now (now that I went looking for it). I'm spoiled to Safari just cleaning up my spelling after me... :cool:

23. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

I dont have safari at hand right now, do u mean safari 2 will correct your spell automatically like M$ word? or you still need to right click and choose correct spell from context menu?

24. osirisX macrumors regular

The same things I said about Firefox go for Opera as well.

25. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Only gripe I have with Opera is poor compatibility with certain (many) sites. Apart from that its good.

People saying Opera is the most compatible browser is a classic example of

"If you say a lie enough times it becomes the truth"