Safari uses 700mb of memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zeiter, Aug 23, 2010.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I was wondering if it was normal that when normal browsing with 2 tabs open, that safari takes up 700mb of my memory! Is there something wrong with it? Is it because of flash ads or something?

What should I do? Format everything?

Thank you

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

It all depends on what those tabs are doing. If you are on flash-intensive sites, such as Engadget, you will have a pretty hefty chunk of your RAM eaten up. Typically, Safari for me takes up about 300MBs, though. We need a little more information on what you do to know for sure. :)

4. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

I was on facebook and this site writing this (tabbed)...and it takes up 630mb now!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, it's normal. I'm currently at 650MB with only this page open. There's no need for you to track memory usage unless you have a specific problem, which you don't. Just use your Mac.

6. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Well not really normal I suppose. I have 3 tabs opened. Youtube, this forum and gmail and its using 230 megs. 700 is way too much. Let me ask you do you have a lot of extensions installed? Try chrome sometimes

7. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

I'm a Pro Safari 5 user, I like it a lot but this is one of the reasons I'm starting switching to Chrome 5. Chrome uses a lot less Memory, launches and load pages more faster.

I still use Safari, mainly for the total integration with 1Password but Agile released the Chrome Extension version 0.8.1 last week with Auto-Submit. Still lack one more feature I use a lot on Safari, the "Option+Command-\" Pop-Up Search window.

8. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Well...
    Screen shot 2010-08-24 at 3.39.43 PM.png
    It all really just depends on what you're doing.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

safari has long suffered from eating too much ram, memory leaks and of late being a bit bloated.

10. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

switched to chrome....800mb of ram left....instead of the usual 56....guess safari has some memory handling problems...