Safari uses too much ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patrickng89, May 7, 2010.

1. patrickng89 macrumors member

Hi guys,

My safari is using up like 15% CPU Usage under activity monitor on the new 15'' base mbp. Temperatures have also been higher than the first few days of the purchase (i've had it for a week now) it gets to about 110Fahrenheit with just safari on.

Is this normal?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite normal. Nothing to worry about. My CPU is at 144F right now, and all I'm doing is surfing at the moment.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, unless you only have one window with one tab and a simple text page with no ads on it open.

The CPU has to be used, so Safari can run with as few flaws as you can get.

And 43°C is an okay temperature.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you didnt inform us how much RAM safari is using, so how can we tell? or was that a typo?

you most likely have some flash open on the web browser, install ClickToFlash to get rid of that overhead :)
    43°C is about as low as it will get in an Apple notebook.

5. patrickng89 thread starter macrumors member

it uses about 460mb of ram. the first few days i was running only about 33deg celcius.

my first mac here so just trying to understand =)

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aaah ok. thats about normal usage for safari - osx manages RAM very differently to windows, it gives programs memory that they require if nothing else wants it. no harm in that!

33°C after constant usage? or just after bootup?

install clicktoflash and see how u go

nice choice ;)

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you use MRoogle (link below), you will find plenty of similar threads.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. patrickng89 thread starter macrumors member

just one question,

how do u turn clicktoflash on and off.

Thanks =)

9. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I didn't realize that OSX did something like that. I always thought that OSX allocated RAM similar to how superfetch does it in Windows.

I remember seeing an article once about web browser RAM usage, and recall seeing that certain browsers (notably internet exploder and safari) request a huge heap of RAM, and usually use a (mostly) static sized chunk of RAM unless the system needs to re-allocate it. This theoretically increased stability. This could have been a windows only thing though, it was a while ago.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

click the flash embded thing to make it active, to turn off CTF you go to the "cog" at the top left corner of a flash element and i believe you can disable it through that

i am not familiar with superfetch - but from what ive been told they were completely different.

the RAM allocation does not seem to be static, its almost exponential :p but they do demand large amounts of RAM, however in instances where they need to give up the RAM they do it happily. my system does it all the time and is still very snappy. its once you run out of free RAM that you start running into problems :(

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Like this:
    Picture 26.jpg

Picture 27.jpg

12. skunnykart macrumors regular

also need to factor in the flash plugin for safari. it's under a separate entry in the activity monitor.