Safari vanished and can't reinstall

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dorsetian, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Dorsetian macrumors newbie

Safari 4 seems to somehow have been deleted from my mac. The dock icon had a question mark in it so I removed it from the dock (nothing happened when i clicked on it anyway). When I looked in my applications folder it appears to have gone from there. No problem I thought, i'll just reinstall it. Luckily I have Firefox on the computer so I went to apple.com/downloads and tried to download Safari 4. Nothing happens. A screen comes up saying thank you for downloading Sarafi but nothing has downloaded. Still not a problem i thought because i'm sure I have a copy of Safari 4 in my downloads folder from a few months ago. Found it, clicked on it and went through the install process. When it get to the "select a destination" stage it won't let me install because "this update requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 which means it should work being a newer version. I can continue using Firefox but it seems a bit weird that I can't reinstall Safari. I have also noticed that for some reason i can't download anything else from the apple downloads page. Really weird! Anyone got any ideas?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Visit http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ and install 4.0.4 for Leopard. Not sure why you can't download anything else from the Downloads page...

Another thought just occurred. Can't you insert your Mac OS Install disc and run optional installs to put Safari back on there?

3. Dorsetian thread starter macrumors newbie

Installed but won't run!

Thanks for our help. Tried reinstalling from the install disk and it did actually install Safari. However when I tried to start Safari got message "This version of Safari is too new for this version of Mac OS X". Despite the fact i am running OS X 10.5.7 the applications on my mac seem to think I have an older version!
    Any ideas what could be wrong?

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Use time machine, if you have backed up, and reinstall that way.

5. Dorsetian thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved!

Thanks for your help. I managed to download and install 10.5.8 combo update and that seems to have cured the problem. My problem with downloads was due to not ubderstanding how to download with Firefox. I am used to downloading an item simply by clicking on it. With Firefox I need to right click and then "down them all" before anything downloads. I'm still not sure why Safari vanished but I've got it back now so all is fine.
    Thank you once again for taking the time to answer my question. :)

6. Thatoneguy2 macrumors member

I was having problems with Safari so I deleted it. Now when I try to download the latest version it downloads fine but will not install. Keep getting "install failed" message with the big yellow triangle and exclamation point, with the advice to check with the software company. Since it is coming right from the Apple site mentioned above I don't get what the problem can be?

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok ^,

When you "download" is that from the internet? If so, what site?

Or, are you trying to "download" from a disc?

What is the last step you are taking before the error message pops up?
    What was on your screen then?

8. Thatoneguy2 macrumors member

I am downloading via Firefox from the Apple site. I tried to put a screen shot of the "install failed" message, but could not get it to paste in here.

It says the installer encountered and error that caused the installation to fail.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Pretty mysterious. I'm afraid I have no constructive suggestions.

10. NewRevolution88 macrumors member

Hmm

That is mysterious...good thing you have firefox and should have no reason to want safari back anyway :D