Safari VERY slow! and other weird problems...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alia828, Jun 4, 2008.

1. alia828 macrumors newbie

Just recently Safari has been VERY slow for me... I get the spinning wheel for about 10 seconds when I try to go to a page...Firefox works fine and I had no problem with Safari before. I added a bunch of bookmarks but I dont see why this should be a problem.

ALSO i initially thought it was my computer that was slow so I was going to try to repair disk permissions but when I held down the shift key at startup my computer stayed on the apple screen FOREVER..even after i let go of shift it was stuck on the screen with the apple and the wheel thingy loading..I had to restart my computer from the back and have been scared to try to startup in safe mode again..

ONe more thing...while cleaning up my HD i noticed the file "mds-crash-state" i tried to delete it and it asked for my password so i didnt do it. I looked it up and found that this was because spotlight crashed, i really dont know what this means, but is it safe to delte this?

Sorry for the three questions in one...any help is appreciated! THanks!!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Well, first off you don't start up in Safe Mode (shift key held down on startup) to repair disk permissions. That's a function of Disk Utility and you can do it anytime pretty much. Starting up in Safe Mode will sometimes take a lot longer than normal, as it runs the disk verify (same as Disk Utility) before it loads the system.

As for Safari, repairing permissions wasn't a bad try, might also just check that you haven't moved any files. Between that and having a Spotlight crash log though, it sounds like you might have more widespread problems.

First thing to do, no matter what, is back up all of your data if you haven't already. Continuing problems may result in needing to reinstall the system or wipe the drive, though those are fairly drastic measures and shouldn't be first. After you're backed up though, try repairing permissions and verifying the disk using Disk Utility, and disable any addons for Safari you may have installed (if any). Wouldn't hurt to turn off anything you have loading at login as well, which is in the Accounts pane of System Preferences. Of course then restart so that anything that does load at login is quit, and see if it's better. Let us know more details and the results of those basic steps to see if more needs to be done.

jW

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Have you verified your HD? (Not to be confused with repairing Permissions) This has to be carried out from the Disc Utility on the Installation Disc. It's not a bad idea to do this occasionally as files can get out of sequence, resulting on all sorts of strange behaviour!

4. Deenah macrumors newbie

Safari v slow when im lucky!!!!

my firefox started not opening sites so i thought it must be a problem with firefox. so i deleted firefox and worked with safari..just a few days later safari does not open pages anymore. only when i restart my mac or refresh the connection and i know its not a connection problem because other laptops work just fine online. im very lucky actually to be able to write a post here lets see if i can submit it lol
    i even deleted safari and installed it again and yet i have the same problem
    can someone please tell me whats going on
    thank u