Safari virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by littlewolf, Apr 19, 2015.

1. littlewolf macrumors newbie

I never usually use Safari, but I used it today for some reason. I clicked on a picture in google images, and got this screen (image attached). I can't get rid of the pop-up window, it just re-appears every time I click okay. I can't clear history/cache because all the options are greyed out due to the active window. I also cannot delete Safari because it comes with the Mac. Even when I shut down/reboot, the window is still there when I open Safari. I don't mind just using another browser, but I don't like knowing that evil popup is always hiding in my Safari.

Help, I don't know what to do!

Attached Files:

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

A point of clarification: It's not a virus, it's a phishing attempt. As far as I know there are no viruses in the wild for OS X.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What is happening is Safari is reloading that page each time it restarts. Right click Safari in the dock and force quit. Then hold the shift key the next time you start Safari and it will stop it from going back to that page.

5. littlewolf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, holding the shift key worked, and I was able to clear my history.

Does anyone know if I should be worried? I did stupidly click that "ok" button a couple of times.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... you are fine as long as you did not download and install anything or enter your password to allow any installs.

7. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

It's likely that the page included JavaScript that resulted in the messagebox. If the "payload" could have been delivered without the messagebox then they wouldn't have gone through the extra work of setting up a phone number for you to call.