Safari vs. Chrome

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FX4568, Apr 23, 2011.

1. FX4568 macrumors 6502

I need some info in which one will save me more battery and is... more user friendly...
    Any input is truly appreciated
    Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why dont you test it for yourself? Both are free.

(Spoiler alert: your choice of browser is going to have an insignificant effect on your battery life compared to what websites you're looking at and the content on those websites)

3. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Installing a Flash blocker on either of them will likely help a quite a bit with preserving battery :)

4. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, of course saying "try it out" kinda kills the purpose of my question, since what I want to know is things that I do NOT know. that might change my perspective from the chrome browser to the safari one.

5. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I prefer chrome, it's light and fast. But each their own. :)

Safari, I've had big issues with it. It's slow in my eyes. That's the only downside. One good thing it supports a great add-on call ClickToFlash!

6. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Both Safari and Chrome are fast in my opinion, however Safari does seem to be slightly less stable. I do prefer it however, but Chrome more or less supports similar features to Safari. One nice bonus for chrome is being able to search from the address bar, but it isn't such a biggy... Once Lion is out, the rumors say that the majority of its crashing should be gone thanks in part to WebKit2, so stay tuned on that front.

7. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, that will require thinking. Asking a forum will get conflicting answers, which without personal knowledge, you will have no way to evaluate.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Chrome:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10030522-56.html

That's all one needs to know. ("Free" nowadays is a sort of silent barter that the customer/user isn't supposed to think about.)

10. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

Shall I state before every post a disclaimer saying, "I have tested both browsers"? Will that make you happier? I consider some things obvious. When someone asks a question, I dont expect an explicit statement that they already an opinion on it, and have evaluated such opinions. I just infer the fact that they do.
    Obviously, if im asking questions about Safari and Chrome, I have already tested those. But perhaps, I might have missed something that Chrome or Safari doesnt have, and that is what I am asking. Sometimes people that just use things dont know the full capabilities of what they are using.
    Would you have known that your computer could do certain things if no one told you? Most likely not!
    If I already knew, why would I ask?

Anyways, thanks everyone, but it seems that chrome does not have a click to flash, and both have ad blockers. Seems like I will still use chrome until Lion comes out then.

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Glad to see you did some research before asking the question, but it wasn't obvious. Many people ask questions simply because they want a quick answer with no work of their own and haven't tested them. We have no way of knowing if you did or not. So, saying that you've tested both of them would be helpful information.

Plus, "more user friendly" is pretty subjective and is going to be based entirely on what your definition of "user friendly" is. The best way to answer that question is to use it and see which you like better.

Chrome doesn't have ClickToFlash per se, but it does have an extension that acts in an identical manner called, appropriately enough, FlashBlock.

12. FX4568 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand the user friendly thing. I mean i love the address bar thing. That is one of the main reasons im keeping it.
    Also I herad from chrome that you can go about:flags and disable a flash player. but i tried it and it doesnt work :/ so yea. I think i will try what you suggested.

13. rachelhannah macrumors newbie

remove wrench icon from chrome??

Hi all,

For those of you who use Chrome, can you figure out a way (hack?) to remove the utterly useless wrench icon sitting to the right of the omnibar? I know it's just a detail, but it bothers me.

Thanks

14. patp Guest

the wrench is how you adjust settings for the browser. how is that useless?

15. rachelhannah macrumors newbie

all the same commands and more appear in the menubar...besides, I use the keyboard shortcuts more than any menus.

16. superfula macrumors 6502

What kind of laptop do you have? Chrome does force the MBPs to use the discreet graphics card, so in that respect it will use up more of your battery.

17. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I was using Safari for about 3 + years. I recently tried Chrome for about 4 weeks. It is very comparable to Safari and in the end I think it is personal preference. I switched back to Safari last week on my machines. Reason Click to Flash, I have Macscan on my units to check tracking cookies and Macscan does not work with Chrome.

IMO it just personal preference and they are both good browsers.:cool: