Safari vs Chrome

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LaurentBeuk, Aug 3, 2015.

1. LaurentBeuk macrumors newbie

Ok so i know chrome eats up your battery a whole lot more then safari.
    But the problem is safari is just so slow on my computer.

I'm using a 2011 macbook air and for chrome it takes like a second to open a page while that same page takes like 10 seconds on safari for me...

Why could this be?

Thanks

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Interesting question. I've never noticed a big difference, but I use Chrome 99% of the time. When El Cap is released I will try to use Safari more since there will be so many updates/improvements.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yes Chrome loads faster. It probably has various causes. One is that Safari usually waits until it has almost all the data before it renders the page, while Chrome starts rendering much sooner and then just adds the data that comes late to the party. That is why Chrome loads often feel instant while Safari takes an age to load a page.
    I think Chrome also is greatly optimized in loading data quickly. Google did a lot of work and uses some of its own protocols like SPDY aggressively.

I only use Safari for youtube, because the Safari HTML5 player is just way more efficient than what Chrome does. Keeps the fan from speeding up. For everything else I also prefer Chrome, resource hunger be damned.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think Chrome consumes more battery power than Safari. Where have you heard that?

5. subsonix macrumors 68040

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If you have very little space free on your SSD, you will be causing fragmentation of files. This isn't AS bad with SSD as it is with a hard drive, but it can cause things to slow down.

If you're at 90% or more of disk space used, try to free up enough to have say 20% or more free which will reduce the problem and may help things run a bit better.

7. pedro_martins macrumors member

pedro_martins

Chrome consumes way more power than Safari, while not bringing any advantages. Anyway...

OP:

Chrome has a feature where it starts to load pages as you type. I'm not sure if Safari has a similar feature, but on my machine both load a page equally fast, just like firefox.

I find that Safari is faster on everything for my usage: It deals with html video better (youtube video sometimes stutters on chrome, not on safari), trackpad gestures are way smoother, the build-in dictionary (3 tap on a word) works better, the 3 tap on a link to preview the page is a most have, looks better, the trackpad gestures for switching between tabs (web mission control) is just fantastic for laptops and, of course, the battery life.

Chrome has its own ecosystem, and despite being an Android user, I hate it and find it useless. Those notifications? OS X already does a much better job at it. What a mess. That bell icon? First thing to remove.

One advantage that Chrome has is that some extensions, like adblock plus, use less resources there and don't slow the browser down. Safari is still faster with adblock than Chrome, but if you open many tabs you feel the hit. Also, adblock doesn't work in flash, in safari. Anyway, I don't like nor do I use flash, so the fact that Chrome has it sandboxed and built in is why I have it installed (for when I need it) and also why I try not to use it.

About slower loading times: There are some threads about it. For some reason, some users suffer from it. One thing that worked for most was going to network preferences - wifi - advanced - tcp/ip - ipv6 configuration - local only.

See if it helps you.

8. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I use both browsers and Firefox. I cannot use Chrome for my on line lectures and class videos because it wont support Microsoft's video player software which is required. This leaves most of the time using the other two.

9. pedro_martins macrumors member

pedro_martins

Silverlight?

Does El Cap's Safari 9 support it, just by chance? Hope not.

10. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Yes, Silverlight wont be supported any longer (at least for now so they say). I take courses
    on line that requires the use of MS Silverlight. In the past, I pretty much dedicated Chrome
    for schooling until the notification came and also tried it out. However, both Safari and Firefox
    work well enough.

11. pedro_martins macrumors member

pedro_martins

Silverlight won't ever be supported by Chrome and new Safari versions, then. It's old and bad. But don't worry, alternatives will be found by your teachers (like, realizing it isn't 2001).

12. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I admit I kind of thought similar and hope that the teaching materials and training would be be better serviced with another app than MS's.