safari vs firefox vs chrome

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by pcomac, Aug 11, 2011.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

which is better for lion. which uses the least ram/hard drive? which is more secure?

2. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

personal preference really. they are all secure enough, they're all roughly the same size. Safari tends to take up more ram due to caching.

It's really personal preference. I went from firefox to safari in Lion.

3. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Firefox = hundreds of add ons!
    Safari = "slim" design!
    Chrome = have nothing to say.

4. PurpleMarmalade macrumors regular

Safari = memory hog. Looks the most 'lion-like'. Don't like it.
    Firefox = feels big/clumsy. Lots of add-ons - depends whether you use them. I don't.
    Chrome = fast, stable, intuitive. Only gripe is that you cannot remove favicons from bookmark bar. This is the browser I use.

5. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

I wish it was due to caching, but I'm pretty sure cached pages and assets are stored on disk, not in memory. Also, when the main Safari process grows up to 1.4 GB of real active memory that is never freed, it looks more like a massive memory leak.

6. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Opera Next is really fast, decent memory profile and integrates pretty good with lion already. Also is more intuitive then safari. The sliding pages and two finger swipe in safari is nice though.

7. mwxiao macrumors regular

Safari: finger swipe. Dictionary lookup. I don't know about RAM. I never have any problem.
    Firefox: I have no problems with it. Just not so much into its UI.
    Chrome: finger swipe is working in dev version, but no transition during swipe. And it doesn't work on my magic mouse. No dictionary lookup.

I am using Safari right now. May jump back to Chrome once its Lion ready.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Have you guys even used Firefox recently or updated to 5? The UI is nearly identical to Chrome.

9. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I prefer Chrome, but having the smart zoom in Safari makes it a winner right now

10. lcs101 macrumors regular

I wish safari would allow for favicons on the bookmarks bar. One of the things I like about chrome is I can get rid of most of my bookmarks titles and therefore fit more of them on the bookmarks bar. However, chrome is currently giving me some fits on another forum I use. Will not let me put in any emoticons or links or multiquote.

So right now, I use chrome for most things. Safari for one internet forum. And Firefox when I am doing looking up journal articles, so I can take advantage of Zotero.